Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 transformer stun gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

smack_whore

ok would this circuit work?

50 Hz 9V AC> =[1]=[2]=<spark gap

[ ]-means transformer
transformer 1 has 2 turns on primary coil and 222 on secondary coil
transformer 2 has 2 turns on primary coil and 20 turns on secondary coil

by my calculations the end voltage should be around 10000 V {(9*111)*10}

smack_whore said:
ok would this circuit work?

No it wouldn't, there are certain laws that have to be followed regarding transformer windings, you need a lot more than 2 turns to work at 50Hz at 9V, and certainly LOTS more at 1000V.

ok

ok.how many turns would you need then?or failing that could you tell me a good site where i could find out how to work it out my self?
1 more thing.could a transformer simply be an straight iron bar with the pri. winding at 1 end and the sec. winding at the other?
thanks for helpin dude/s/madams

Re: ok

smack_whore said:
ok.how many turns would you need then?or failing that could you tell me a good site where i could find out how to work it out my self?
I've got a Babani book called 'Coil Design and Construction Manual', it has a chapter (12 pages) about mains transformers, I've not seen anything on the net - but I've never looked!. To work out the number of turns per volt, you need to know the cross sectional area of the transformer core, it's flux density, and the frequency.
1 more thing.could a transformer simply be an straight iron bar with the pri. winding at 1 end and the sec. winding at the other?
thanks for helpin dude/s/madams

It could, but it wouldn't work very well.

my bro...

according to my bro you cant connect 2 transformers together like i have shown unless they exactly "match" but he was pretty vauge about it all.he also seems to think a tesla coil is a dangerous thing to connect to the mains but thats another topic......
i did note that when i connected a phone charger the "wrong way" round i got a nice spark off 9V ac, but when i connected it through another transformer i got nothing, couldnt even light an led...weird eh?could it be something like the induced magnectic field on one transformer cancels out the current on the other but then that would mean u cant run an electro magnet off a transformer which im pretty sure aint true.sorry to babble my im pissed off at this I JUST WANNA MAKE A BIG SPARK DAMMIT! :evil:

Re: my bro...

smack_whore said:
1. according to my bro you cant connect 2 transformers together like i have shown unless they exactly "match" but he was pretty vauge about it all.he also seems to think a tesla coil is a dangerous thing to connect to the mains but thats another topic......
i did note that when i connected a phone charger the "wrong way" round i got a nice spark off 9V ac, but when i connected it through another transformer i got nothing, couldnt even light an led...weird eh?

2. could it be something like the induced magnectic field on one transformer cancels out the current on the other but then that would mean u cant run an electro magnet off a transformer which im pretty sure aint true.sorry to babble my im pissed off at this I JUST WANNA MAKE A BIG SPARK DAMMIT! :evil:

I have numbered your questions.

1. You can connect 2 transformers together if you know what you are doing. But why use 2?

2. The magnetic circuit of transformers is closed so they are not affected by external magnetic fields.

You could use the ignition coil from a car. They are designed to make a spark.

Len

it is okay to cascade two transformers (since they are non-ideal) according to my professor (if it is ideal there will be some positive feedback in the two transformer loop) . but it is not advisable especially when you are talking about 220V transformers but if you're talking about audio x'formers i guess it's ok. but why not use voltage doublers/ triplers to step-up theh voltage output. there is another circuit for the stun gun it is the called the dazer which uses voltage doublers instead of a high turns ratio transformer.

Most stun guns are very simple. You can redesign the wheel, but why bother? Cascading transformers works fine, but the 2 turns on each primary your using means massive A. I've had fun buying used disposable cameras that have a flash. You can get them at a Walgreen's or eckerd's drug store for about $2-3 a piece for that you get a 750Ah rechargeable Ni Cad and a complete strobe circuit ( which can be used for stun gun fun ) that contains a 350v 100Mfd+ cap , which alone would cost more then the 3 bux.

Here's a good schematic for Your stun gun.
**broken link removed**

What you want to do is step up the voltage on those transfomers alot if you want to get big sparks and put the electricity into a capacitor. The bigger the capacitor the bigger the spark you can get and you want to get High voltage rated capacitors.

these pages have things to add to the transfomers to smooth it out and store it to make a big spark.

At the bottom of this page is two tesla coil designs.
**broken link removed**

Lets see um heres a good leyden jar capacitor about 5" sparks
**broken link removed**

Heres a another cap bank http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/marxgen.htmcouple inches.

Heres how to make a simple leyden jar out of a film canister.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back