Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 pin oscillator DIP socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because there's no simple way to make a stable two pin oscillator which gives a nice stable square wave out.

You need at lease three pins, two for the power supply and one for the output.

I can think of a way of designing a simple two pin oscillator but it's be very crude and drift a lot depending on the ballast resistor.

DIP stands for "Dual In-line Pack", the form of most through hole integrated circuits.
2 pins "Dual In-line" is a bit impossible so you won't find them.

If you want a two pin socket, find a larger socket with pins which suit your application and cut off two pins with a sharp knife.

I do that sort of thing all the time.

The "2 pin oscillator" you refer to, I think you mean a quartz crystal.

An oscillator can be made using a crystal as its frequency determining element, but a crystal on its own is not an oscillator.

JimB

The crystals come in different size packages, so might have to bend the leads a little. The crystal also needs a couple of small capacitors for it to work right. Crystal oscillators usually have 4 pins, again a variety of size packages. Resonators have 3 pins... A6 pin socket might work, but you might also look into header pin sockets.
SNAPPABLE 30 PIN SIP SOCKET, .1" CENTERS | AllElectronics.com
I've used these for LEDS, capacitors, and resistors. Might work for what you want. Oddly though, square header pins don't seem to fit...

D`oh, you're right - i meant crystals. I have a bunch of crystals lying around and want to be able to swap them. When i connect them to the breadboard i use 2 caps which i intend to solder onto the breakout board - i only needed a way to allow me to swap the crystal itself.

HarveyH42 - that seems pretty close. I thought there might be a dedicated socket for crystals (the pin spacing would be .1" but the socket spacing would be a bit wider to accommodate the crystal).

Like nigel said, there are sockets for crystals. They have worked out great for the half can type crystals with the skinny leads (0.018"). They will not work with the fatty type leads on at least some full can crystals.

The spacing of 4 pins of the strips that Mike mentioned are perfect (0.3"). I use them. The capacitance is small, but if you're worried just subtract a pf or two from the crystal load caps on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back