Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 inch hole to fill with something COOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I just bought my son a car (used Nissan Maxima in very fine condition). He noticed there is NO clock in the car. It has a 2 inch hole in the center dash and he can remove the volt meter that is there telling him the alternator status.

My first thought was a new Radio/CD unit with a clock in it and forget about it. But he is into the car and we can hang out.

He wants a 2" white face analog clock (yes, there will be one kid in 2010 that can read an analog clock). We searched the web. Found a $58 clock that was OK.

Anyone have ideas for it. It is 2" diameter. No room to go up or down on size, I thought about squaring the hole.

Something I can drop in PIC related?

AND THE CAR HAS A TACH so "I need a tach" guys need not apply.

Any ideas or links.

mramos1 said:
I just bought my son a car (used Nissan Maxima in very fine condition). He noticed there is NO clock in the car. It has a 2 inch hole in the center dash and he can remove the volt meter that is there telling him the alternator status.

My first thought was a new Radio/CD unit with a clock in it and forget about it. But he is into the car and we can hang out.

He wants a 2" white face analog clock (yes, there will be one kid in 2010 that can read an analog clock). We searched the web. Found a $58 clock that was OK.

Anyone have ideas for it. It is 2" diameter. No room to go up or down on size, I thought about squaring the hole.

Something I can drop in PIC related?

AND THE CAR HAS A TACH so "I need a tach" guys need not apply.

Any ideas or links.

See if Wal-Mart dont have a small travel alarm clock. As for myself, I have been using a $3.00 (on sale) wristwatch in my truck for several years, it is stuck to the dash with hook & loop tape. It keeps excellent time but still has to be set for DST twice a year but I can live with that.

All good ideas. Esp, RonH. I will hit Walmart's bike section on the way home.

Too small for a PIC project for me and round no less..

It's probably me lacking imagination but all I can think of is a clock with an LED display. This can be built using logic chips, programmable logic or a PIC. You could use different colours for the digits or just use a cool colour like blue cyan or deep green.

Try having a look on eBay you'll find something.
RON H I'm really glad that you came up with "beer"

Last edited:
Cool Pocket watch..........

mramos1 said:
{snip}I just bought my son a car (used Nissan Maxima in very fine condition). He noticed there is NO clock in the car. It has a 2 inch hole

Any ideas or links.{snip}

Have been searching ebay for pocket watches, very few with a quarts movements but this one looks interesting:
**broken link removed**
Even if the diameter is slightly less than 2" it should not be too difficult to shim it up slightly.

Last edited:
Hero had the direction I was thinking actually, but it sounded like work so I decided to go with Ron, Wolf and Rolf and run to walmart for a bike trip clock, then stop and pick up some beer.

How about a miniature propellor clock?
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back