Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 float switch tank filling circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachside

I have just reported aboard a new (to me) ship and have a problem with the chill water head tank. It has a float switch at the top and one at the bottom which lead to a relay which controls a solenoid which allows water to fill the tank. I assume it runs the range from top to bottom prior to refilling. It's not working. The solenoid is functional. The float switches are working (each has a NO and a NC in the dry position), and the relay works. I think the guy before me rewired it and, like me, had no idea...

Any one who might be better versed and would like a crack at a tangible problem? I'd be very grateful.

I have just reported aboard a new (to me) ship and have a problem with the chill water head tank. It has a float switch at the top and one at the bottom which lead to a relay which controls a solenoid which allows water to fill the tank. I assume it runs the range from top to bottom prior to refilling. It's not working. The solenoid is functional. The float switches are working (each has a NO and a NC in the dry position), and the relay works. I think the guy before me rewired it and, like me, had no idea...

Any one who might be better versed and would like a crack at a tangible problem? I'd be very grateful.

Welcome, beachside!

In the simplest scenario the top switch turns OFF the relay that then de-energizes a fill pump.
The bottom switch turns ON the same relay that then energizes a fill pump.

Do these help? (I'm assuming a DPDT type relay. Ignore "battery" symbol. I only have DC relay sim examples).

Starting wih a FULL tank:
TankFULL.JPG TankLevel Falling.JPG TankEMPTY.JPG TankFILLING.JPG

And then all open/off when the tank is full again.

The circuit is really just a motor and/or solenoid powering arrangement with limit switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back