2 float switch tank filling circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachside

I have just reported aboard a new (to me) ship and have a problem with the chill water head tank. It has a float switch at the top and one at the bottom which lead to a relay which controls a solenoid which allows water to fill the tank. I assume it runs the range from top to bottom prior to refilling. It's not working. The solenoid is functional. The float switches are working (each has a NO and a NC in the dry position), and the relay works. I think the guy before me rewired it and, like me, had no idea...

Any one who might be better versed and would like a crack at a tangible problem? I'd be very grateful.

Welcome, beachside!

In the simplest scenario the top switch turns OFF the relay that then de-energizes a fill pump.
The bottom switch turns ON the same relay that then energizes a fill pump.

Do these help? (I'm assuming a DPDT type relay. Ignore "battery" symbol. I only have DC relay sim examples).

Starting wih a FULL tank:

And then all open/off when the tank is full again.

The circuit is really just a motor and/or solenoid powering arrangement with limit switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…