Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 different questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with two things

The first one is how to make aluminium frontpanels with "rubber holes" for buttons and text - shown on the attached picture. What is the technique called and can it be done on plastic enclosures?

Second is where to find cheap plastic enclosures in larger sizes - like this 220 x 145 x 75 mm. I think enclosures from Digikey or Farnell are to expensive - offen more expensive than the electronics within it.

Attachments

• Frontpanel.jpg
    Frontpanel.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Is silk screen the word you are looking for? Not sure about enclosures though...how expensive is too expensive? a 22cm x14.5 is going to cost quite a bit since it is so big.

It's a bit hard to tell if the button markings in that panel are holes or are a solid piece of plastic/metal.

Approximatly that size case costs 40 dollars on Digikey. Considering you're getting a heavy duty case it's not that much. If you need cheap you're going to have to actually go cheap, thin plastic that doesn't protect very well.

I remember seeing, at a robotics competition in Korea, a controller housed in a tupperware container. Must have cost all of three dollars, but it did look good.

I'm building a power supply
Is it really right, that power supplies have to be built in metal boxes?
Where can I get earth in the power supply - the metal/plastic box?

The mains earth connection could be connected to the metal box.

A pastic box doesn't require an earth connection.

For most applications it's better if you don't earth the secondary side of the supply; however it might not be required if the transformer doesn't have sufficient insulation between the primary and secondary.

Metal boxes are a really good idea to prevent EMF emissions and if connected to earth ground are both safer for people and for electronics.

One might say there is a need for us to start thinking outside the box for cost effective boxes :D Did I say that? shoot me ;)

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back