Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 amp switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple&cheap

I'am looking for something to replace a relay I'am thinking maybe a power transistor.

Here is what I need it to do
to turn on the power (6v) to a slave flash to charge the cap.
the load is 2 amp max droping fast down to a few ma.
the "gate" will come from a 5v output from a PIC chip that has a 20ma max current
if a transistor would work which one and would I need to add resistor
any help
thanks
:?:

You might try an SCR... I'd have to dig through the books and see what will be able to handle that current, if anything, but an SCR would be the most robust for this application, I think.

thanks Dngrsone
Iam using a SCR to fire the flash

But Iwas thinking even after I removed the gate it would conduct aslong as the current flow was not interuppted and from what I have seen in my testing the current never drops all the way off.
Please correct me on this Iam a hobbist and not real smart.
:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back