Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.4Ghz Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

agno

Hi all, Pls.help me to make a good anttena for my 2 watt
2.4 GHz AV transmitter (newly bought)
Regards,
Peter.

Radio amateurs are always building antennas and if you google on "antenna 2.4 ghz amateur" you might find what you need.

Yes, there are so many websites around that give details on homebrewed 2.4gig antennas, it's a whole lot easier if you just surf the net to find the one design that best suits your needs.

If you just want to get something working, you can use a piece of copper wire that is 1/4 of a wavelength long.

The wavelength of a signal is c / freq, or for 2.4GHz, about 12.49cm.

Thus, your piece of wire should be a fourth of that, or 3.1225cm.

Dipoles are pretty easy to make from simple coax, just get a length of coax that matches your antenna output and cut the insulation off the last 3.1 centimeters of the cable and fold the shield down the cable (hopefully it's foil braided mesh is a pain) it's a quick and dirty remote antenna. Mind you dipoles are relatively sensitive to orientation and nearby metal objects so be conscious of where you place the antenna, whips are not much better.

Seeing as how the antenna is already going to be small, if you have the space and want better performance double or quadruple the antenna length to get a half or full wave antenna.

Last edited:
What impedance are you looking for?

A dipole is 75R which is no good if the cable and transmitter is 50R - you need a balun.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I'm newbie to electronics,doing small video production. Recently I bought one 2 watt 2.4ghz 12 channel AV transmitter & reciever for my video work.My aim is to send AV from one point to another about 300 mtrs. away
(openair-no hinterence) without cable. I tested with builtin antennas (small rubber type) It's ok but video getting distorted when people crossing inbetween. I heared that proper antennas can do much more.So kindley give advise to get better signal.
Thanks in advance,
Peter.

Try two Cantennas

Thanks all, I'm newbie to electronics,doing small video production. Recently I bought one 2 watt 2.4ghz 12 channel AV transmitter & reciever for my video work.My aim is to send AV from one point to another about 300 mtrs. away
(openair-no hinterence) without cable. I tested with builtin antennas (small rubber type) It's ok but video getting distorted when people crossing inbetween. I heared that proper antennas can do much more.So kindley give advise to get better signal.
Thanks in advance,
Peter.
Do a google search on 'Cantenna', most of them will be for WiFi, some will tell how compute the right size of Dipole for your frequences. You get about 12 dbs of gain. Which is about 12 time the signal of you current set up.

Hopefully they'll post it again, but someone provided a link once with all the appropriate ratio measurements for a biquad antenna that worked at wi-fi frequencies. It was pretty easy to make from stuff wire and insulated spacers. Much more compact than a cantenna, but not as much gain, should be enough gain for OP's use though. I lost the copy I downloaded though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back