Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.4GHz amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would start out making a better antenna.

Making one as a hobbyist is pretty much out of the question. Wifi extender/repeaters are commercially available, I suggest you follow that route. Depending on how much more range you need to squeeze out you have a few cheaper alternatives. One being selecting a better suited antenna for your situation as mentioned above. Some routers, notably the WRT54g have alternate firmwares available that allow you to up the transmit power significantly. You can increase the power to a point where additional cooling should be used so be careful.

Last edited:
I want to make one for wifi anyone know how hard this is?

How much it will cost me?

Thanks
well you have the simple answer from LTX - you can't do it.

even the pros at Mini-Circuits RF/IF Designer's Guide make multiple design tweaking runs on CNC equipment before doing production on the same mills.

the reason is that EVERY conductor IS an inductor (and an antenna by the way) and EVERY gap between conductors IS a capacitor at those frequencies.

1.25" is a 1/4 wave antenna if you are familiar with RF at all, I am sure LTX whose nick appears to be a ham operator's call does.

2.4ghz amplifiers are illegal by the way. Repeaters are not but repeaters are a different subject, even modification of an antennna for Wi-fi technically voids the FCC certification (The antenna is part of the certification of a device for part 15 rules)

There is a thread about a month or so back about a monolithic 2.4ghz amplifier that requires very few external components and would be possible for a hobbyist to make however I'm not sure if that thread still exists because the making of such an amplifier is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back