Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.4 Ghz Device Signal boosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

navhawk

I was wondering if there is any equipment to boost the signal of my 2.4Ghz baby monitor. It has a camera and a receiver unit with fixed antennas. I have searched google and couldn't find any. Please help.

try to attach a higher gain antenna on the receiver. They work noticably better than the miniscule factory supplied ones. I did that to a wireless camera and gained an extra 150' recpetion distance through steel and concrete structure.

thanks hitech. Does anyone know any device that can retransmit a boosted signal between a sender and a receiver. See, the baby monitor's receiver can be used with 3 camera's that operates on frequencies 2.41, 2.44 and 2.47 respectively. I'm using only one @ 2.41. Can I connect the boosting device @ 2.41 to the receiver unit and set the camera to transmit signal @ 2.44 so that the boosting device will bridge the camera and receiver.

Though relativly speaking a common set of frequencies is used there are no frequency or bandwidth/spectrum standards for the 2.4ghz band so there is no 'standard' RF relay you can just go out and pick up. The FCC only regulates out of band transmission and transmit power at 2.4ghz. The closest thing to a standard is Wi-fi , which are independant of the FCC. Thing is even wi-fi 'channels' overlap.
The whole 2.4ghz spectrum is effectivly uncontrolled. Your BEST bet for increased range is upgradeing your antenna, though this is techically illegal as it voids your devices FCC part 15 compliance if a non-HAM alters a commercial device.

it's not illegal if you upgrade the receive antenna only.... and typically that's the best approach.

It may seem trivial (and I do agree it's trivial) but many regulations are specific in that the equipment is approved as manufactured. That would make modifications illegal. The only danger that I could see to adding an antenna would be to unintentionally radiate RFI that might be generated within the receiver. An old but possibly appropriate example: I added a long wire antenna to an old AM table radio - and along with improved reception I could also adjust the dial so that the local oscillator would interfere with other radios nearby - to a greater degree than before.

I attended a local amateur radio meeting where several amateurs showed how they modified Wi-Fy equipment for greater range. What I remember them saying is that some Wi-Fy channels are in ham bands - some are not - and that the modified equipment must be operated by the licensed amateur within the ham bands. All of the requirements of that band apply - again, to the operation by a licensed amateur. I have to presume that they did some homework in examining the regulations.

stevez said:
I have to presume that they did some homework in examining the regulations.

Part of gaining a licence involves knowledge of the rules and regulations, any active ham is liable to know at tleast the bands he uses - and can easily check any bands he doesn't.

Even modifying the receive antenna on a part15 devices is technically illegal, mind you only technically, I severely doubt the FCC will nocking your door down if you do it.. Personally as long as you aren't actually increasing transmit power puting high gain antennas on a wifi rig is safe common practice. Most people wonder why they're so uptight, the simple answer is these are the only airwaves we have, if the rules are tightly controlled and regulated they're ruined for everyone. All it takes is one poorly built home transmitter to ruin the airwaves of potentially thousands of people in a large city. It's also not exactly healthy to be submitting oneself to ever increasing concentrations RF energy just cause someone wants wireless access a few hundred feet further.

I really don't know the regulations when it comes to modifying WiFi gear, but I can see that increasing the gain of a receive antenna could result in increased radiation of the local oscillator. Coupling of local oscillator frequencies to a receive port is common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back