Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1n4148 forward voltage vs current graph

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjpollitt

Looking at the datasheet with forward voltage of 1v there should be around 170ma

On my test circuit I have 10vdc supply limited to 200ma, series resistor of 470 ohms and then the 1n4148 diode.

My question is why am I only measuring 20mA ? I have a voltage of .95 across the diode which suggests I should be getting at least 100ma.

Thanks
Graham

Small calculation:

(10V {psu voltage} - 0.95V {diode Vf} ) / 470 ohms = 0.0193A = 19.3mA.

Your series resistor is too high a resistance to allow 100mA from a 10V supply. Try reducing it to 82 ohms or so.

Maybe you expect the diode to generate 100mA? Then try it without your 10V supply. :lol: :lol:

I think you may be looking at it in a wrong way. The forward voltage drop is specified with a average current. This voltage drop can vary with temperature. In fact the older version of the 1N4148 the 1N914 has been used as a temperature sensor on occasion by monitoring the forward voltage with a specified current flowing thru it. I also remember seeing a circuit or two that used the forward voltage of this type of diode as a voltage reference source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back