Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1N4148 Diode circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your circuit has the pot across the 5V source in parallel with the other resistor and diode so the pot has no effect on the diode current. And the diode and resistor are also connected directly to the 5V source so the voltage to and current through the diode are fixed. Since the pot wiper is the variable part of the pot, don't you think that should be connected to vary the voltage to the resistor and diode?

Think about how the current flows and give it another try.

The current limiting resistor should be in series with the diode correct? Should the voltage source be in series with the potentiometer and the two should be parallel to each other?

You're getting warmer.

crutschow said:
...Since the pot wiper is the variable part of the pot, don't you think that should be connected to vary the voltage to the resistor and diode?

No. But you're getting closer.

Think of your circuit as two circuits: one supplying a variable voltage level, the other using it, both with a common ground.

HINT: It's about the only circuit variation left...

Have a look at the attachment.

JimB
Diode testing.JPG

If you had to design a circuit to forward bias an LED which is made up of a dc supply, potentiometer, 330 ohm resistor and an LED in series. The potentiometer being used to vary the bias voltage across the LED. It would be then same circuit?

If you had to design a circuit to forward bias an LED which is made up of a dc supply, potentiometer, 330 ohm resistor and an LED in series. The potentiometer being used to vary the bias voltage across the LED. It would be then same circuit?

I am not sure if that question is aimed at me, but yes, I would use your final circuit.
I think that I would use a lower resistance potentiometer.
Without doing some calculations, intuition tells me that as the diode conducts, all adjustment will be cramped up at one end of the 10k pot.

JimB

Edit, sorry I misinterpreted the question which has switched from a 1N4148 to an LED.
Yes, use the same circuit for the LED.

Hi,

Just to note, usually a pot is wired as a variable resistor in series with the diode or LED. No need to wire the pot across the voltage source which wastes energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back