Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1Hz timebase

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcat

How do I get a precice 1hz timebase for a digital clock. Even if its a sine wave generator, I can probably use a comparator or schmitt trigger to turn it to a square wave. I was wondering if you use an amplifier with the feedback component a quartz crystal, will it oscilate the resonant frequency of the crystal? (the problem is how to turn it to 1hz)

Just use digital dividers, if it's mains operated just divide down from the mains frequency, or use a 32KHz clock crystal and divide down from that - it's a well known (VERY old) technique.

Its Battery powered, the digital divider might work. But how to make the crystal resonate?

catcat said:
How do I get a precice 1hz timebase for a digital clock. Even if its a sine wave generator, I can probably use a comparator or schmitt trigger to turn it to a square wave. I was wondering if you use an amplifier with the feedback component a quartz crystal, will it oscilate the resonant frequency of the crystal? (the problem is how to turn it to 1hz)

This is a good read on the subject:
**broken link removed**

Here is another one:
https://www.rentron.com/at89c205.htm

Last edited:
How to make one? (And it should oscilate the resonant frequency of the crystal.)

Wanna see something funny? Do a Google search for "1 Hz time base 32768".
Caveat: I'm in the US. I'm not sure if the results are the same worldwide. Does Google know what country you're in, and tailor the results accordingly?

I can draw one up for the 4.194304 MHz one.

Not sure if you can get the ic anymore or cascade two 4060's.
You need to divide by 22 to get one Herz from that one.

But they are very accurate.

scl 1444 used to be built in the German Maxirex BQT and QTT timers from the late 80's.
I salvaged quite a few of those for the accurate timing module in them which drives the seconds stepper motor for the clock.
Luckily i work for the powerboard so a good supply was always there when the back up nicads failed these clocks were just dumped in the bin.

By removing the motor wires and putting a 470Ω to 1 kΩ resistor across the terminals, then taking the defect nicad out and replacing it with a 100 µF capacitor and across it a red LED. and converting it from 230 Volts AC to 12 or 5 volts dc it can drive a 4 N 35 opto and provide direct 1 second clock pulses or via a schmitt trigger if required.

I can draw up a schema if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
You could always buy a cheap analogue clock module and use the circuit to generate the pulse.

Ron H said:
Wanna see something funny? Do a Google search for "1 Hz time base 32768".
Caveat: I'm in the US. I'm not sure if the results are the same worldwide. Does Google know what country you're in, and tailor the results accordingly?

Google only searches in the languages you specify. Since I am multy lingual I have it search in five. Of cause I am not fluent in five.

1 Hz timebase.

1 Hz timebase.

Attachments

• 1 Hz.PNG
    1 Hz.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 6,881
Thanks for that circuit on1aag.

I had a similar schema somewhere and couldn't find it with the 4521 IC in it.

on1aag said:
1 Hz timebase.

I built that one years ago for a LED clock. The circuit works fine but I found home built crystal oscillators lack long term accuracy if one is finicky about keeping time.

No matter how accurately I trimmed the capacitor to get the oscillator running on the precise frequency, a few weeks later it would be out again.

These crystals are temperature sensitive, keep that in mind. I guess they could be housed in a crystal oven but that needs power to run which is not an option for a battery powered clock.

A much better idea is the mains frequency derived 1Hz pulse, they take great care at the power station (in large cities) to have the frequency average out precisely over 24 hours.

What really bugs me is a $5.- digital LCD wrist watch that I have keeps a much better time than the fancy LED clock with crystal oscillator I built.
Perhaps it is because the wrist watch is always at body temperature as I only take it off while having a shower.

Klaus said:
A much better idea is the mains frequency derived 1Hz pulse, they take great care at the power station (in large cities) to have the frequency average out precisely over 24 hours.

Doesn't Australia have a 'National Grid' like the UK?, perhaps due to the size of the country it's not practicable? - but in the UK all power stations are syncronised together, so all mains supplies are accurate.

What really bugs me is a $5.- digital LCD wrist watch that I have keeps a much better time than the fancy LED clock with crystal oscillator I built.
Perhaps it is because the wrist watch is always at body temperature as I only take it off while having a shower.

As you say, the constant temperature probably helps?, but did you use a 32KHz crystal for your clock?, those are the most accurate ones for such use.

I want no adjustments/variable capacitors because:
1: I dont have good variable caps and cant get to them
2: I want it to precosely divide the crystals oscillation so tha it will just work precisely.

I now have a 555 timer with trompot adjustment but I cant get it right!

Klaus said:

Its battery powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back