Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexis1321

So I bought a 1986 Ford ranger that needed the body harness completely rebuilt . As I'm ripping out the old harness I noticed something that looks like a wire nut with about 6 wires inside of it. Has anyone seen anything like this? Was this Normal for fords back then ? Or was this the result of someone not knowing what the heck they where doing? Please let me know what you guys think about it ! I can't even wrap my head around why it was done like this or how to repair this. Should I just run new wire and do as they did? Open to all suggestions!

Attachments

• 20210425_134849.jpg
    20210425_134849.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 697
  • 20210425_134852.jpg
    20210425_134852.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 693
I don't know specifically about that vehicle, but it's quite common to have several wires joined together within a harness.

If you're having a new body harness, a circuit diagram would be a good idea.

One comment: make sure you know where the fuseable links are. In older cars they generally are in a place where opening would not cause too much damage. it's usually a splice of a smaller size wire. off the battery and off the alternator are possible locations. In newer vehicles they may be a wire within one of the fuse boxes usually in the engine compartment.

In newer vehicles they may be a wire within one of the fuse boxes usually in the engine compartment.

Fuseable links are pretty much a thing of the past. Now it's either Mega fuses or Maxi fuses. Don't real know when exactly it changed though.

I had a 1982 Toyota and it actually had wires in the engine compartment fuse box. Back in 1960's vehicles they just hung willy nilly.

What really impressed me was when I went to purchase a car in 1982, I looked at th Dodge Omni, a used Mazda 626 and the Toyota Celica. I really wanted the Toyota Supra. The harder problem was to find a car that i was comfortable driving. the Celica didn;t quite make it, but it was OK. I had to raise the arm rest about 2" and raise my thighs with a towel to make a long trip. I wwas really happy with the Toyota. The dash plastic was bad, though.

I served my apprenticeship at a Ford dealership and got my license in 1986. I do not recall ever seeing a splice joint like that on a Ford vehicle so I would be temptet to eliminate that and clean it up. If memory serves correct, the only fusible links on the truck were down at the starter and I think one at the starter relay. Hope thst helps

I do not recall ever seeing a splice joint like that on a Ford vehicle

Many GM wiring harnesses had a similar splice in them. We had special machine that made them, using a steel crimp terminal. Then they got wrapped with what was called splice tape, similar to duct tape with cloth but black in color. Then they got the normal electrical tape over it. These were all for grounds, never a live splice.

Many GM wiring harnesses had a similar splice in them. We had special machine that made them, using a steel crimp terminal. Then they got wrapped with what was called splice tape, similar to duct tape with cloth but black in color. Then they got the normal electrical tape over it. These were all for grounds, never a live splice.
These were definitely live wires! 3 wires coming from the alternator, 2 wires fusible links , and one other miscellaneous wire that goes to the dash somewhere, and one wire that's completely fried with no insulation just copper showing.

I served my apprenticeship at a Ford dealership and got my license in 1986. I do not recall ever seeing a splice joint like that on a Ford vehicle so I would be temptet to eliminate that and clean it up. If memory serves correct, the only fusible links on the truck were down at the starter and I think one at the starter relay. Hope thst helps
How would you go about eliminating it. There are not really any schematics I can find for this truck. Also there were 2 fusible links in that bundle .

I don't know specifically about that vehicle, but it's quite common to have several wires joined together within a harness.

If you're having a new body harness, a circuit diagram would be a good idea.
Circuit diagrams are scarce and the ones I have found seem to have a few color codes wires missing. Any tips where I can find them? Would a Ford dealership give them to me?

There is quite a bit of information regarding wiring on this site:

The colours and wiring diagram sections for many of the main items & functions are on or linked from this page:

There may be other pages with more info.

If you can identify all the wires for all the listed sections & items, hopefully the leftovers (if any?) should be a bit less of a problem?

Circuit diagrams are scarce and the ones I have found seem to have a few color codes wires missing. Any tips where I can find them? Would a Ford dealership give them to me?
One tip I have is don't bother asking a dealership.

Have you got a Haynes manual for the car?

https://haynes.com/en-us/ford/ranger/1983-1992

They usually have something in the way of circuit diagrams. Sometimes the circuit diagrams are simplifications, and some bits may be missed out from the manuals, but a lot is there. Haynes were also good enough to send me a .pdf version of the circuit for free on a Micra when their printing in the paper edition had messed up all the labels in the circuit diagram.

Sorry I’m late. Fusible links went away at the body change in 86-87 for larger trucks. I’m assuming rangers were similar. Fusible links are visible in the pictures above. On fords they look like a large black cylinder inline with the wire. They are a pain and one of the reasons I’m building a 1996 truck to look like an 86 rather than just buying an 86.

From your photo, the main feed wire was cut off. There'd normally be a single feed wire at one end of the molded insulator fed from the battery or a fuse block output. In this case, the wires were used as a common tie point from an internal feed. Tracing each wire from the molded insulator will tell you if rewiring the harness is worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back