Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

18F248 w/A6276 & Two seven-segments

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

Wanted to try out one of the Allegro A6276 chips I recently got. Digikey only had SOIC so I soldered one up with my last 18F248 cheapy (also SOIC).

The A6276 sure makes life easy for doing LEDs! :D Really cuts the amount of wiring down. Reasonably inexpensive too - $2.64 in <25 quantity.

I drive it with hardware SPI, but you could very easily bit-bang it on a smaller MCU. It takes three wires to control it - clock, data and latch. The chips have a 16-bit shift register and sink drivers for the LEDs. They are cascadable, so you can build big displays easily.

In this pic I only have one of the two displays wired up (I wanted to check my wiring) and coded for. The long exposure makes it look like all segs are on, but it's actually counting 0-9 over and over.

**broken link removed**

Have you tried driving the A6276 output enable pin with a PWM signal?
Is that how it's done? I was looking for a way to do that, but their datasheet is NOT good. I'll try it today.

I have some Grayhill rotary encoders I been wanting to tinker with. Think I'll put one on to control the PWM and one to change the numbers. Or something...

Last edited:
Is that how it's done? I was looking for a way to do that, but their datasheet is NOT good. I'll try it today.
Works perfect. One thing to watch for is that the Output Enable line is active low, so PWM is inverted. Lower values are brighter.

Had a bit of strangeness when I added the PWM. The thing acted like adding PWM was affecting my delays. It started running fast and slow and all over the place. I scratched my head a little (code seemed fine) and then added a 0.1uF decoupling capacitor at each chip. Cured! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back