Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

18F2455 'Suspicious Pointer Conversion' Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. This past semester we learned to work with a dsPIC30F chip, so I decided to take up working on a project on an 18F2455, just cleaning up the code and fixing a couple bugs, and generally understanding the code better.

Here is the error Im getting (Im using MPLAB v8.43 and the LITE C18 compiler):
C:\Users\J Skoba\Desktop\Flasher GIT\picflash\XSPI.c:187:Warning [2054] suspicious pointer conversion

Here is the code causing the error. The line referenced in the error is the 'void XSPIWriteDWORD...' line:
Code:
void XSPIWriteDWORD(BYTE reg, DWORD data)
{
	XSPIWrite(reg, &data);
}
Here is XSPIWrite:

Code:
void XSPIWrite(BYTE reg, BYTE *data)
{
	PORTBbits.RB4 = 0; // SS	

XSPIW((reg << 2) | 2);
	for (i = 0; i < 4; i++)
		XSPIW(*data++);

PORTBbits.RB4 = 1; // SS	
}

and XSPIWriteDWORD is called here:
Code:
WORD XNANDErase(DWORD block)
{
	XSPIWriteDWORD(0x0C, block << 9);
}

Now the one thing we didnt cover were pointers (I think that may be covered in later semesters) so I dont quite understand what a suspicious pointer conversion is. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
You are passing an integer pointer to a routine which expects a char pointer. It's suspicious because it changes the size of the data it's pointing to. You can get rid of the error by doing XSPIWrite(reg, (unsigned char *) data); if you are sure that is what you want to do. I'm assuming data is defined as an int and not int*.

Mike.

It is a WARNING not an ERROR. Does the code work ?
You're absolutely correct - it is a warning and not an error. My mistake! Yes, the code does work as expected.

You are passing an integer pointer to a routine which expects a char pointer. It's suspicious because it changes the size of the data it's pointing to. You can get rid of the error by doing XSPIWrite(reg, (unsigned char *) data); if you are sure that is what you want to do. I'm assuming data is defined as an int and not int*.

Mike.
Excellent! I used (BYTE *) data instead of unsigned char but I checked the TypeDefs.h file and they are defined the same way (I didnt realize how they were defined [byte - char, dword - long], that would explain why I couldnt figure out the error). Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back