Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16f887's dying after use, can't reprogram

Status
Not open for further replies.

picdude

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem. I am programming a 16f887 using the Wellon USB VP-Pic1 programmer. Up until recently there have been no problems with the chip, I could program it and then put it in my circuit, everything is ok, and then I could reprogram it again.

For some reason now, I can program a chip and it works in the circuit as it always did. However, as soon as I try to reprogram the chip, it erases ok but then says:

>>Erase OK!
>>.Program......
>>Device Address:000000H
>>Program fail!
>> 4.66Sec

I can put in a fresh PIC and it works fine, but once I have put it into my circuit and run it I can no longer reprogram that PIC. I am running out of chips fast and would like to know what I can do. I have tried restarting the computer, etc. and it is still the same.

There are no short circuits, etc. on my circuit. I am driving 11 transistors, 6 servos and 10 inputs via pull-up resistors. It was all working fine without problems and now I just can't reprogram.

Is there something that would cause the PIC to not allow reprogramming? Something really basic I am overlooking?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Some programmers can't reprogram some chips that have the internal oscillator selected and Mclr disabled.

Do you have a link to your programmer? Edit, found it but there is no schematic so I can't suggest anything.

Mike.

Last edited:
The programmer software can be downloaded from the manufacturer's site at **broken link removed**

I am using the internal oscillator however I have left MCLR enabled, and is connected to power via a resistor. LVP is off, Brown Out Reset is off also. Do you think this is just something funny with the fuses that I could fix, or is it possible my circuit could have killed the ability of the PIC to reprogram? (Or am I just using a flaky programmer?)

I couldn't make any sense of their website?, so I've no idea what the programmers capabilities are - BUT - if the programmer can't switch the PIC to programming mode before the clock starts running, then you can't ever reprogram the PIC.

It could be hardware limitations, or software limitations, I would suggest not using some obscure Chinese programmer?.

I don't know anything about this programmer, does it use LVP? Because that's enabled in new chips by default, and you say you are turning it off when you program one...?

I think the program had the MCRL set to off, and I am using the internal oscillator.

Obviously my programmer is not a very good one. If I get a better programmer will it be able to revive the PICs I have already killed? Any suggestions on a good programmer?

I think the program had the MCRL set to off, and I am using the internal oscillator.

Obviously my programmer is not a very good one. If I get a better programmer will it be able to revive the PICs I have already killed? Any suggestions on a good programmer?

Yes, a decent programmer should be able to re-use them no problem.

The PICKit2 is really the recommended programmer these days.

Ok, I will get the new programmer. It seems other people have had this problem as well, but I couldn't find it in the beginner's guides, etc.

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back