Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16F88 ADC Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamthole

I am trying to make a voltmeter from a 16f88 PIC.

When searching I have only found either assembly code or a PIC using a seperate A to D converter. I am writing the voltmeter program in C, and was wondering if their were any examples in C I could look at?

Any schematics I should look at for the actual voltage input to the PIC?

Thanks

adamthole said:
I am trying to make a voltmeter from a 16f88 PIC.

When searching I have only found either assembly code or a PIC using a seperate A to D converter. I am writing the voltmeter program in C, and was wondering if their were any examples in C I could look at?

Any schematics I should look at for the actual voltage input to the PIC?

Check my tutorial hardware for shematics, I would expect any C compiler that supports the chips to have examples of how to use the A2D?. If not, either use in-line assembler, or write your own C, based on the assembler routines.

Here's my example code, written in BoostC... if you're using some other C compiler (which I wouldn't recommend :lol:) then you'll probably have to modify it a bit, but at least you can get the general idea... but basically, if you just follow the steps to using the ADC found in the datasheet, and have a decent idea of how to use your compiler, then it's very easy, no real tricks involved.

http://www.eegeek.net/electronics/tutorials/PIC/adctest.c

The description from my website:
This program is basically a step up from a "hello world" application. What it does, is read values from the analog-to-digital converter (ADC) on RA0 (port A pin 0) and output them via the serial port. It also echos any characters it receives via serial, back to the computer via serial.

Well if you're using CC5x then I definitely recommend BoostC. I started with CC5x, and honestly didn't have any problem with it, except that it is so expensive that I was totally stuck with the limited free version. BoostC has the same kind of free version, however the full version is only about $60 if you ever need it. not to mention, they have an active support forum, and the developers are really on the ball about fixing things and adding new features. For instance, I requested that they add the method of bit accessing used in CC5x (ie- bit 3 of a variable would be variable.3) and they added it as soon as they finished one of their other major additions, just a few weeks after I posted.

Also, CC5x and BoostC are pretty close to compatible. Converting a program from one to the other just takes a couple minutes, and most of it is changing the case of variables (in BoostC, 'porta' refers to an 8-bit variable mapped to the appropriate register in the PIC, and 'PORTA' is a constant with the address of that register)

Wow. I am extremely impressed with BoostC. It is awesome. It simulates and even has the cool plugins. Very very cool. Thanks for the link.

BTW, I like declaring constants as individual bits. Is it possible to do a nibble? I am working with an LCD that I am using in 4 bit mode and was wanting to declare the highest nibble of portB to a constant, but I don't know how/if it is possible.

I don't think you can do that... but I think that it would probably just be handled as an 8-bit variable behind the scenes when converted to assembly, and would probably produce some inefficient code... so you're probably better off dealing with it as an 8-bit in the first place.

While we are on the topic of BoostC, I would pass on what I saw on EBay UK.

There are two recently completed auctions for BoostC 6.0 Compiler & IDE licence about a week apart.

One ended up selling for US$96 and one for US$36. Interesting things happen on EBay.

Sounds pretty odd... but what licenses were they? normally lite is $30, full is $60, and pro is somewhere around $150...

Wow, I just found those two auctions, and both were for full licenses... so one guy got a good deal and one guy got totally ripped off... that's excellent :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back