Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16F84A programming error using P16PRO40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had similar issues under XP on an athlon 2100+

I tried several different settings and ports and none of them worked with the picallW software, I did try the software from http://www.oshonsoft.com/picprog.html and it worked great. very simple to use. The programmer is a p16pro40

Out of curiosity, I installed windows 98se on an old laptop I had laying around, a sony pcg-f270 (333Mhz PII 192MB ram) and tried picallw, it had issues and reported "address...buffer....device" errors until I made the following changes under version .10d of picallw (download .10c and update the device.ini file)

write/read program was checked
write config./prot was checked
blank.ch. before programming was NOT checked
Verify after program was NOT checked
write/read Data was checked
Erase before program was NOT checked.

This means I had to wipe the chip manually, do a blank check, then program it and then verify it in different steps, but it worked without error and the chip verified properly under various other programming packages as well. Kinda makes me wonder if the program has its delay time set to short for faster CPUs when it is switching steps, and when I did it manually, it works.

Right now I am just using the Oshon programmer (http://www.oshonsoft.com/pic.html) as its extremely simple and I use thier Pic Simulator IDE to code with anyways. It is a BASIC compiler, assembler and disassembler with built in simulator. The simulator is full featured and kind of makes coding for these little chips fun. great tool to learn with. (and before anyone flames me on that... its a personal preference thing).

I did also try the newer versions of PicallW but they gave a ton of errors on the system running 98se for some reason.

===
http://www.geocities.com/alaskanmagick/index.html

"First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn numbers into letters with ASCII — and we thought it was a typewriter. Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a television. With the World Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure. " Douglas Adams

dont know if this is too late, but the problem is that the pins Vdd and Vpp are swtiched around. if you swtich them then it should work. so when you click kit96, vdd = 2 and vpp = 3 make them vddd = 3 and vpp = 2 in hardware settings

worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back