Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16F84 = Obsolete - What alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azaruk

I am new to PIC stuff, and have made a few projects (successfully) using PIC16F84.

I have been writing code for new projects, but as the 16F84 is obsolete, what chip can I use as a replacement and what changes, if any, have to be made to the code?

The 16F628 replaced the 16F84 almost ten years ago, only VERY minimal changes need to be made to the code - mostly turning off the comparators.

There used to be a migration document at MicroChip, but it doesn't seem to be there any more.

Aside from setting the __CONFIG differently usually just turning off the comparators will make it very similar to the 16F84 and you get the 4MHz clock built in!

If you are using someone else's program, you may need to move some of the general purpose register locations forward in the source.

The GP register starts at 0Ch for the PIC16F84(A) and it starts at 20h on the 16F628(A).

I cut my PIC teeth on the old 16C54, such a simple chip and still very powerful. Having only 7 SFRs not too intimidating. The true king of the 18pin 16f series is the 16f88, it's a lot more complex than the f84 for sure but its an awesome little pic, second to that the 16f628a.

if you're just getting started with pics try the free MPLAB simulator. Nothing to build, it's got all the PIC simulators and you can try your hand at some coding right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back