Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16 Character x 2 Line LCD Controller? Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

I found a pretty good deal at www.allcorp.com... https://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=365&item=LCD-94&type=store It's for these 16 Character x 2 Line LCDs that have no circuitry. $.20 a piece!!! So, I want to know if there is any way I could build a controller board. :? Can someone pleeeeeease show me some schematics or something to help me with this please? Thanks...

Rain

P.S. I know these controller boards can tend to be more or less complicated... but I would still REALLY like to be able to do this...

Electric Rain said:
I found a pretty good deal at www.allcorp.com... https://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=365&item=LCD-94&type=store It's for these 16 Character x 2 Line LCDs that have no circuitry. $.20 a piece!!! So, I want to know if there is any way I could build a controller board. :? Can someone pleeeeeease show me some schematics or something to help me with this please? Thanks...

It would certainly be possible, but I doubt it would be practical, it's almost certainly going to cost you a lot more than buying one with a controller already built it.

I'm not sure if you're right about that... either way, they need to be separate from the controller board anyway. You know, so the LCD is translucent.

But, if you can get 100 for $10.00... how would they plus the controller boards for them cost more than (if you say a 16 character by 2 line LCD costs about $6 because of the discount you'll get from buying in bulk)
100 16 character by 2 line LCDs for $600? That would mean that the parts for 100 controller boards would cost over $590. Well, this isn't really assuming I'd be buying in bulk either. But still, even if I buy just one for $.20 then (if you say a 16 character by 2 line LCD costs about $8 [not buying in bulk this time]) the controller board for it I wouldn't imagine would cost more than $7.50. And even if it's a buck more, I (as I said before) need the LCD to be separate from the controller board anyway.

Electric Rain said:
I'm not sure if you're right about that... either way, they need to be separate from the controller board anyway. You know, so the LCD is translucent.

But, if you can get 100 for $10.00... how would they plus the controller boards for them cost more than (if you say a 16 character by 2 line LCD costs about $6 because of the discount you'll get from buying in bulk)
100 16 character by 2 line LCDs for $600? That would mean that the parts for 100 controller boards would cost over $590. Well, this isn't really assuming I'd be buying in bulk either. But still, even if I buy just one for $.20 then (if you say a 16 character by 2 line LCD costs about $8 [not buying in bulk this time]) the controller board for it I wouldn't imagine would cost more than $7.50. And even if it's a buck more, I (as I said before) need the LCD to be separate from the controller board anyway.

If you can get a controller board to fit those displays for less than $7.50 I would be surprised - as I see it you will probably have to do a great deal of both hardware and software design, you can buy microcontrollers with LCD compatible outputs - but you've still got to write the software for them.

Those sorts of displays are usually fed from custom microcontrollers in domestic equipment - often an 80 pin SM device which also provides keyboard scanning, and perhaps a clock facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back