Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

~150V DC Regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserk87

is there such thing as a regulator that can handle around 150V DC?

preferably a buck converter, not something that just turns the extra energy into heat.

ive been searching, but all the ones im finding are 80V input max.

All the cheap A.C. inverters have a high frequency switching boost transformer power supply that creates about 155 vdc output. This is followed by a MOSFET H-bridge that creates the modified sinewave output to A.C. socket.

If your are looking for 150 vdc from A.C. mains I am sure there is switching power supply out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Any links or suggestions? The only bucks I've "designed" are using national semiconductors web bench, and they don't seem to have a solution for what I need.

What is your load? A DC source, or does transient response matter?

You can totally made a DC/DC converter without some pre-fabbed chip or module meant for that purpose. The dsPICs are used a lot for power converter 'brains'.

Any links or suggestions? The only bucks I've "designed" are using national semiconductors web bench, and they don't seem to have a solution for what I need.

As loathe as I am to throw NS business, you could probably use a 400V PNP or P-FET as the power pass device bucking the main DC input, and use a switcher IC to drive an NPN with it's emitter grounded whose collector pulls down on the P buck transistor. There are probably a bunch of generic switcher controllers you could use, you will have to create a lower voltage rail like 20V to run the IC maybe with a power resistor and zener down from 150V. That bias voltage rail can be poorly regulated, doesn't matter.

Regular AC switching power supply will work from 150 vdc.

Just don't get a power factor corrected power supply.

If you want you can bypass the rectifier bridge in the switching power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back