Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

14KW Tesla Coil for sale it produces 12 ft sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

Primary coil is flat wound 1/4" copper tubing. $200

Secondary coil is 950 turns of #20 enamel coated copper wire 10.5" diameter. $200

Spark gap is variable speed vacuum fan RQ gap. $150

3 Capacitors are .01 uf 40,000. volts each. $100

Top load is 36" diameter stainless steel sphere. $500

High Voltage transformer is 240 Volt 60 amps input, multi tap output 14K, 15K, 16K, 17K volts. $500.

**broken link removed**

Interesting that you want to get rid of it. I've seen your coils all over the internet. May I ask why you want to sell it?

I'm afraid I can't afford it--the prices seem a little steep, if you ask me. But it seems to me that one could build a similar one from scrap parts for under $300, less if you find the right sources. Just saying :p

I am reducing my load. I have too much stuff and about 90% of it needs to sell. I am moving 1640 miles from TN to AZ. I can't take it with me. I am trying to be retired all this stuff is a boat anchor. I had fun building it and fun playing with it but now it is time for someone else to play with it.

You can build a cheap coil if you have a pile of junk to work with or you can get stuff dirt cheap and do all your own work.

Thesecondary coil PVC pipe is about $10 per foot new. The wire is about $30. I wound on coil on the lathe at work it took me about 1 hour. Then I had to varnish and let it dry 5 times. If you already own a $20 can of varnish you don't have to buy any. I have about $90 in the coil the extra $100 is my labor. If you don't have a lathe it will take you several weeks to wind this coil. $100 labor is not a bad price for 2 weeks work turning the coil by hand.

I had to buy the transformer $500 I don't think you will find a $14KW any cheaper.

I have about $40 in each capacitor, aluminum, polyethylene, high voltage oil, PCV pipe with end caps. I have 3 days work in making 3 capacitors not counting driving time going all over town to collect the items I needed. I probably have 12 hours work in collecting all the stuff.

There is about a weeks work in the spark gap and I have about $150 in it so I don't make a dime for my labor building it.

It took 2 days to build the primary coil and several more days to varnish it and add the strike rail. $30 worth of copper tubing and a weeks work.

Build your own 10" coil it is a lot of fun and a lot of work too.

You couldn't have this sphere made for less than $5000. I got lucky and found it used. I already have an excellent offer for the sphere much more than I am asking but I want someone to come pick it up. I can mount it to a wooden pallet truck freight will be about $350.

Truck freight on the HV transformer will be expensive too.

I need to post this on the TC forum again

I am reducing my load. I have too much stuff and about 90% of it needs to sell. I am moving 1640 miles from TN to AZ. I can't take it with me. I am trying to be retired all this stuff is a boat anchor. I had fun building it and fun playing with it but now it is time for someone else to play with it.

You can build a cheap coil if you have a pile of junk to work with or you can get stuff dirt cheap and do all your own work.

Thesecondary coil PVC pipe is about $10 per foot new. The wire is about $30. I wound on coil on the lathe at work it took me about 1 hour. Then I had to varnish and let it dry 5 times. If you already own a $20 can of varnish you don't have to buy any. I have about $90 in the coil the extra $100 is my labor. If you don't have a lathe it will take you several weeks to wind this coil. $100 labor is not a bad price for 2 weeks work turning the coil by hand.

I had to buy the transformer $500 I don't think you will find a $14KW any cheaper.

I have about $40 in each capacitor, aluminum, polyethylene, high voltage oil, PCV pipe with end caps. I have 3 days work in making 3 capacitors not counting driving time going all over town to collect the items I needed. I probably have 12 hours work in collecting all the stuff.

There is about a weeks work in the spark gap and I have about $150 in it so I don't make a dime for my labor building it.

It took 2 days to build the primary coil and several more days to varnish it and add the strike rail. $30 worth of copper tubing and a weeks work.

Build your own 10" coil it is a lot of fun and a lot of work too.

You couldn't have this sphere made for less than $5000. I got lucky and found it used. I already have an excellent offer for the sphere much more than I am asking but I want someone to come pick it up. I can mount it to a wooden pallet truck freight will be about $350.

Truck freight on the HV transformer will be expensive too.

I need to post this on the TC forum again

Sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to sound offensive. I realize you put a lot into it. I'm just concerned that some people might be leery of spending so much on a Tesla Coil. Have you tried selling it to a science museum? I'm sure they'd be happy to take it off your hands ;)

Again, I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intent.

uh, pardon my asking, but are there any local safety regulations regarding the sale of a giant tesla coil?

The police use to come to my house every time I fired up my large TC in the yard. They would spend an hour on the phone trying to find a law that makes it illegal but so far so good no problems with the police.

I have moved back to TN. Don't ever move to AZ that is a terrible place. Weather is nice in the winter and food is 70% cheaper. Lots of extremely poor people there and lots of extremely rich people with a, I am better than you attitude. 95 miles across town and 5 hour drive to go camping in a place loaded with scorpions, snakes, rocks and no shade. Too hot in the summer to go outside I gained 30 lbs from lack of exercise staying cool in the AC. It is very hard to find a good restaurant but there are 1000s of fast food places. Sausage biscuit with cheese is $2.40 at Hardies in TN and the same thing is $1 in AZ.

Economically how different places exist in the world. You were rating your parts hundreds or thousands of dollars, but here a general worker earn just $3 per day.
The police use to come to my house every time I fired up my large TC in the yard. They would spend an hour on the phone trying to find a law that makes it illegal but so far so good no problems with the police.
Probably the another most funny part of your hobby work. :)

Economically how different places exist in the world. You were rating your parts hundreds or thousands of dollars, but here a general worker earn just $3 per day.
Probably the another most funny part of your hobby work. :)

Hola Willen

Sorry to tell you but that kind of comparisons are just that, comparisons. Per se, they mean little if at all.

Not always the higher / lower salaries / costs mean good or bad.

Just an outdated example: I found the salaries in Tahiti incredibly high (for our standard) until they told me the prices of common goods! For our standards as well, they were astronomic! (Everything, except diseases, was imported, they explained).

Hola Willen

Sorry to tell you but that kind of comparisons are just that, comparisons. Per se, they mean little if at all.

Not always the higher / lower salaries / costs mean good or bad.

Just an outdated example: I found the salaries in Tahiti incredibly high (for our standard) until they told me the prices of common goods! For our standards as well, they were astronomic! (Everything, except diseases, was imported, they explained).
Hola atferrari,
Getting high and low salary around the world impacts badly if a country cannot manufacture basic things/parts inside own country and imports many things. Audioguru used to say there salary is high but everything also expensive in the ratio of income. But he said he started job at 22 years and bought his first car and bought own home at 26 years old. It means the income was pretty high than his necessary things to buy. I cannot imagine to buy cars and home in such short time.

I don't mean I am unlucky and sad but it 'impacts' when one wants to buy things manufactured around western part of the world. Once a member suggested to me a VERY cheap (according to him) US$ 29/- walkie talkie (per piece), it was very advanced in features. And you know that it was not VERY cheap for me. I know it was extremely cheap for him. :)

One positive aspect here: I can load full of foods into my stomach just spending US$0.5 to $1 here. Making comparison is exciting thing to me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back