Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish.
Not all of the parts you listed can do 3 amps so the test may not be fair.
But a few ideas.
Test in both buck and boost mode for efficiency.
Cost per watt.
Circuit board size
Number of parts.

Can you explain more on output current? can I say like less than 3A?
or If higher output current, is there any advantage?
Also, how can I find cost/watt, also number of parts?

Last edited:
Can you explain more on output current? can I say like less than 3A?
or If higher output current, is there any advantage?

In America more is almost always better. :) But seriously I would simplify the project. You have chosen 3 very different ICs so they would be used for different applications. So maybe you could choose only buck ICs from 3 suppliers rated at 1.5 amps at the voltages you want. Lets say 18 to 30 volts in and 12 volts out at 1 amp. Now you know you have 12 watts.
Also, how can I find cost/watt, also number of parts?
Usually you can find a typical schematic in the data sheet for the part. You can probably find most parts cost by searching a site like Mouser or Digikey

I thought they are all the same, buck-boost controller.

Linear Technology Texas Instrument Rohm semiconductor
LTC3780 LM5118 BD9035AEFV-C

Why they are different ICs?
I need buck-boost controllers..

thanks!

They all are buck-boost controllers and they are all different.
You only need to look at the datasheets to see that.
Have you looked at the data sheets?

additional criteria that you might want to think about
  • additional features, for example soft start, over temp cut-off, short circuit protection
  • Tolerance, If I buy a thousand of these they will all have a different output voltage, what tolerance is acceptable
  • Temperature range, which depends on the application. For example aerospace might be -40 +70
  • Temperature stability, will the device tolerance go out of range within your temperature profile
  • Voltage ripple, which is critical in audio or sensing applications
  • switching frequency, Fixed? Variable? what Mhz? important for EMC compliance
  • Transient stability, what happens if you suddenly apply or remove a load
  • Efficiency, keeping in mind the advertised value is never what you achieve
  • Discrete part count, some IC may be cheep but will require a lot of additional components offering a false economy compared to low component count solutions
  • package availability, surface mount, through-hole?
  • obsolescence, important in many industrial application as you'll still want spare parts 10-20 years down the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back