Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

14 Segment displays from VCR and radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantto

Hello, I obtained these displays. What are thay called? Are they just normal LED segments? or something that requires special treatment? Any sites with info on these?

The display itself seems to be between two glass plates.

Thank you.

Attachments

• disp_001.jpg
    disp_001.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 605
From what i can see they are Vacuum-Fluorescent displays.

do you have any part number on them or something similar so we see what exactly is it?

hantto said:
Hello, I obtained these displays. What are thay called? Are they just normal LED segments? or something that requires special treatment? Any sites with info on these?

It's a VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display), it's not 'between two glass plates', the insides are sealed in a vacuum - it's essentially a valve (or vacuum tube, depending where you come from).

Like any valve, they require a heater supply and a fairly high HT supply (usually 60-90V), and (again like a valve) you control them by applying voltages to grids and cathodes.

Nigel Goodwin said:
hantto said:

It's a VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display), it's not 'between two glass plates', the insides are sealed in a vacuum - it's essentially a valve (or vacuum tube, depending where you come from).

Like any valve, they require a heater supply and a fairly high HT supply (usually 60-90V), and (again like a valve) you control them by applying voltages to grids and cathodes.

as i told him/her, its a VFD :)

Nigel Goodwin said:
crowinu said:

There was a large time between starting the post and finishing it, as I got called away - which is why our posts crossed over.

one question nigel, as far as i know VF have their own circuitry to drive no ?

crowinu said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
crowinu said:

There was a large time between starting the post and finishing it, as I got called away - which is why our posts crossed over.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking?. The display is simply a valve, and needs driving as such - usually they are fed from specifically designed micro-controllers with high voltage outputs. A common fault with them is failure of the heater supply to the VFD, often an O/C capacitor or resistor - other than that they are very reliable - although I have seen some which have gone low-emission (but never the types shown in the picture).

Nigel Goodwin said:
crowinu said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
crowinu said:

I'm not quite sure what you are asking?. The display is simply a valve, and needs driving as such - usually they are fed from specifically designed micro-controllers with high voltage outputs. A common fault with them is failure of the heater supply to the VFD, often an O/C capacitor or resistor - other than that they are very reliable - although I have seen some which have gone low-emission (but never the types shown in the picture).

ok got the answer thanks mate.

sorry for my bad english :|

crowinu

They mostly dont have built on drive circuitry.

Anyway you need to aply about 3-4V trough those wires that go on top of the display so that they are glowing red hot very very dim.Then you aply the high voltage - to the heater and the + to the grid and segment you want lit.

The HV voltage can be anyware from as low as 12V to 100V.Depends on the display.You should use some transistors to switch the high voltage and an mcu to control it.

Be careful not to let too much voltage in to the heater becose you can burn it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back