Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12Volt power supply voltage drop problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondo8205

Its a 120Vac to 12Vdc power supply for a camper. I have it pulled apart and it works fine and outputs 12Vdc with no load, when I put a load on it, the voltage drops and makes a slight buzz sound.

Suggestions or where should I start???

Last edited:
are you sure it's a 1A load? describe the power supply. does it have sense terminals? if so are they connected to the output, or left open?
pix would help

That 8-legged chip at the bottom left of the pic looks cooked?

That 8-legged chip at the bottom left of the pic looks cooked?

I see what you mean, but I am not convinced.
Looks more like a blob of paint/varnish/sticky-stuff to me.

JimB

Last edited:
Have you done a diode check on the mains input rectifier diodes? I can't see them on the pic, so presume they're on the heatsink?

I think they would normally run hot even if the supply were working ok.
I can now see (bottom pic) where the spade connectors go to the input bridge rectifier on the heatsink. Have you checked its diodes are ok? If a diode has failed and you're only getting half-wave rectification then your supply will be struggling to give much output.

No, I'm talking about the black thing with a bolt through it, on the right side of the last pic in post #11, which the red, black and white wires connect to with pull-off spade connectors. Isn't that a bridge rectifier?

Last edited:
oh yea its a bridge rectifier.

I applied currents and measured voltage drops and 1 of the 4 diodes was busted!
So you think that one diode would cause the power supply to output 12v then drop with load?

Well part has been ordered and after I replace it, I guess we will find out if that was the only problem.
Thanks guys!

So you think that one diode would cause the power supply to output 12v then drop with load?
Yes I do :)

With a failed diode the mains input voltage is only half-wave rectified, so when any appreciable current is drawn from the supply the voltage on the input reservoir capacitor drops way below where it should be. This means the switch-mode section of the supply has insufficient input voltage/power to operate properly and deliver its rated output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back