Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12VDC to 24VDC flyback converter(multiple output)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahtat

Hi,

I'm trying to design a flyback DC-DC converter which can provide up to 24V DC from a normal 12V DC lead-acid battery that every car has. It can be used to run radios, small lights, relays, horns and other 24V accessories(multiple output) from a 12V vehicle.

I have done research on flyback topology and design the circuit diagram. I couldn't get the 24V DC from the output, after I assembly all the components. Is my design having problem or I selected the wrong flyback transformer?

Attach are my design and the info of flyback transformer.
https://images.elektroda.net/11_1312757763.gif
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/08/323239.pdf
IC chip is UC3843AN(current mode) and flyback transformer is myrra 74014.

PLS HELP and advice!!! Thank you.

Attachments

• new.gif
    new.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,831
  • 74014.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 395
Your turns ratio is wrong. The transformer you are using is designed for mains input. You need your turns ratio to be roughly equal to Vin:Vout. This keeps the duty cycle in a reasonable range and makes sure you dont end up with huge flyback pulses on the primary or too much current on the secondary. I am also not sure what flavour of FET you are using. You need this to have a low ON resistance and a low Qg to get the effiency high. Remove the 100 Ohm gate resistors - this is only there to reduce EMC, but it will kill the efficiency of the converter. You need to tweak the current sense resistor in the source of the FET to put more (or less) power into the circuit to get more (or less) power out. The saturation current of the primary needs to be higher than the current set by this resistor, as does the Ids of the FET.

Please see the following on other points to note on Flyback Converter Design:
http://www.simonbramble.co.uk/dc_dc_converter_design/dc_dc_converter_design.htm

Re :12VDC to 24VDC flyback converter(multiple output)

very appreciate for all reply.

4pyros:
input voltage:12V DC, 1A
output voltage: 24V DC, 500 mA

simonbramble:
You mean I should change the flyback trasformer or change the design circuit? I can't find the other flyback transformer which is under my requirement in the market anymore.
I am using IRF540N (IRF 540N MOSFET N-CHANNEL).
I am newbie in this area, please give me some guide and advice.Thank you.

ronsimpson:
if i use inductor to replace the flyback transformer, then this design will became boost converter.
i thought LM2585 is for flyback regulator nor flyback converter.

4pyros:
input voltage:12V DC, 1A
output voltage: 24V DC, 500 mA

Of course, you know you won't get that, right? Your converter isn't going to be 100% efficient, so you're either going to have higher input current or lower output current. (You can probably get close to 80-90%, in theory at least.)

Last edited:
......if i use inductor to replace the flyback transformer, then this design will became boost converter.
i thought LM2585 is for flyback regulator nor flyback converter.
The LM2585 can also be used as a boost converter. See last paragraph on page 18 of the data sheet and Figure 35, which shows a 12V to 24V, 0.6A boost regulator.

Be sure and follow the circuit board layout guidelines on page 24 when you build the circuit.

multiple output
Multiple outputs???What outputs do you want?

Transformer;
Coilcraft has transformers that can be set to 1:1, or 2:1 for DC to DC applications.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• sho.pdf
    379.8 KB · Views: 337
unless you want multiple outputs or an isolated output, I would go for a standard boost converter. This uses a single coil instead of a transformer and single coils are much easier to find. Half the battle with designing flyback converters is finding the correct transformer. Coiltronix do 'Versa Pacs' and there are equivalents from Wurth and Coilcraft, but go for a single inductor if you can. Your FET looks OK. See my design guide above for how to design a boost converter

A transformer is also generally less efficient than a simple inductor for converting a voltage.

Cutshow,
That is in part due to the fact, (look at post #1) he takes 12 volts to make 24 volts.
In a simple inductor boost up you take 12 volts to make a second 12 volts that sits on top of the first 12 volts. Half of the power comes for free.

crutschow
For LM2585, no need MOSFET to switching IC?and can able to get the waveform from the IC?

ronsimpson
Multiple outputs
output voltage: 24V DC, 500 mA x 2

simonbramble
the main purpose of this project is generate multiple outputs and this is the reason why choose flyback converter.

crutschow
For LM2585, no need MOSFET to switching IC?and can able to get the waveform from the IC?
It does not require an external MOSFET when used as a 12V to 24V converter as shown in the data sheet. Did you read the data sheet?

hi all, thank you for all reply and advice.

I was able to generate first output(24VDC) with S1 and 0V,but further add on S2 and 0V,the circuit showed error and can't generate both outputs(24VDC). For the second output, I only connect the zener diode(1N5818) and capacitor. Should I add the feedback loop for second output or add opto-coupler to isolate the output voltage?

Please advice.Thank you.

I was able to generate first output(24VDC) with S1 and 0V,but further add on S2 and 0V,the circuit showed error and can't generate both outputs(24VDC). For the second output, I only connect the zener diode(1N5818) and capacitor. Should I add the feedback loop for second output or add opto-coupler to isolate the output voltage?
What are S1 and S2?

Post a schematic.

Last edited:
crutschow,

attached is my schematic diagram.
S1 is pin 9 from transformer 74014, and S2 is pin7.

when I switch off the 12V DC power supply, the voltage from second output will drop very slowly(0.01VDC~0.02VDC), meanwhile the voltage from first output is drop normal..at the same time, the temperature from IC chip is high.
what is the root cause for this problem?how to fix it?
please advice. Thank you.

Attachments

• new circuit.jpg
    new circuit.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 797
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back