Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12vDC -> 48vDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Is it possible to go from 12vDC to 48vDC using one 12v SLA and 4 transformers? I was thinking I could run each transformer off from the battery, then wire the transformers in series, can it work that way? If not, is there another easy way to get a boosted DC voltage like that?

joecool85 said:
Is it possible to go from 12vDC to 48vDC using one 12v SLA and 4 transformers? I was thinking I could run each transformer off from the battery, then wire the transformers in series, can it work that way? If not, is there another easy way to get a boosted DC voltage like that?

No, you can't feed DC to a transformer, you need AC.

joecool85 said:

There is no easy way to convert DC voltage up or down, especially at power-level currents. THat's why we use AC in power grids- so we can use transformers. You need a DC-DC switching converter- if it will boost more than half an amp or so, be prepared to pay a few hundred at least for a very large and heavy converter.

What current do you require?

You can buy ICs that will do this if you add a couple of componants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back