Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V to PIC Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

Hi I need to give 12V signal input & check if it is high or low.

This is the circuit I'm going to use.Is my values OK?

Attachments

• 12V Input.PNG
    12V Input.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 216
Assuming you're intending it to be an attenuator?, the values are completely wrong.

However, as PIC inputs are almost all diode protected, a simple series resistor is all that's actually required - try a 15K or something like that, or two 15K's in the circuit you already have.

Assuming you're intending it to be an attenuator?, the values are completely wrong.

However, as PIC inputs are almost all diode protected, a simple series resistor is all that's actually required - try a 15K or something like that, or two 15K's in the circuit you already have.

Similar value resisters will give half of the voltage that is 6V tooo much for the PIC.What about these values?Bottom resister 4.7K top one 10K??

Similar value resisters will give half of the voltage that is 6V tooo much for the PIC.What about these values?Bottom resister 4.7K top one 10K??

hi,
The internal parasitic diodes will take care of any moderate excess voltage.
If you wish, 15K in the top and 10K in bottom,,,, [10k/25k] *12 = 4.8V

Last edited:
I would use in addition an operational amplifier in not inverting configuration (voltage follower) to decouple the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back