Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V to 230V converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

glebka11

Dear everyone,

I have to build a 12V DC to 230V AC converter.
I have read a lot of articles about those converters, but they are all for 110V but not 220V, and they require a huge transformer.

In my case, i need the project to be in small size, NO big transformer, like in modern UPSes.

I heared that if you put bigger frequency to the transformer, it can be small sized.

And, this device is for VERY HIGH WATTAGE (between 100W and 350W)

Could you please help me?

DM 927 is doing one for entitled :Full-bridge problem" 110 Volt, but it could be altered for 240 V.

Search for his submissions in this forum. I have been corresponding with him, I expect he will be happy to help you.

Len

Im not that smart in electronics, and i cant change it.

Could anyone recommend the particular project i need for my problem listed before?

glebka11 said:
I have to build a 12V DC to 230V AC converter.
I have read a lot of articles about those converters, but they are all for 110V but not 220V

You must doubled the number n=500 for 110V ==> n=1000 for 220V

Attachments

• convertor.jpg
    convertor.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,903
yeah, you can use a smaller transformer with less windings and trade it for frequency.

Something like 80Khz will be sufficient. I don't know how do do the calculations over inductance and current/voltage and frequency, but all computers use this form of voltage conversion but with a tiny transformer for its output.

I don't know how you would convert that 80Khz ~ signal into 50/60Hz ~ though.

niq_ro said:
pike said:
I don't know how you would convert that 80Khz ~ signal into 50/60Hz ~ though.

I think is better work directlly at 50 or 60Hz :wink:

The problem with that is the cost, everything costs much more, and you (usually) only get a squarewave output - or it costs even more!.

Do doing it with high frequencies it makes everything much smaller and lighter, you rectify the output, and then chop it up using more FET's to produce your 50/60Hz output - by doing this in a particular way you get a psuedo-sinewave output, which while it doesn't look much like a sinewave, is close enough to work equipment that won't work from squarewaves.

You can buy these now at quite reasonable cost, building it yourself is likely to cost a lot more, and is fraught with difficulties - any slight errors will tend to blow lots of expensive parts. Buying it in your own country will get you a correct voltage one, no need to buy two 110V ones from elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back