Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v to 14.5v ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

settra

hello forum. i want to create a new PSU for my led monitor, so i can power it, through my pc PSU. (dont ask why). the monitors psu, has 2 connectors.
one has +5, +5 , gnd, gnd
and the other one has +14.5 +14.5 gnd gnd.

i can directly supply the 5v from my pc psu 5v rail (correct? is there a problem if they are powered from the same rail?)

but what can i do to convert the 12v from the pc psu to a regulated 14.5 v?? i know i have to use a switching mode chip (LMsomthing), but all the details i find are not simple enough to be understood... anyone have done this before? any advice would be great!

Need to know how many Amps the monitor requires both at +5V and especially at +14.5V????

I think I would buy one of these. You can't build one for $5.

**broken link removed**

Might be worth checking with the manufac, the monitor might work at +5 and +12 from a standard pc supply.
If practical you could use a modded pc type supply to power it, changing a couple of resistors would give you a closer o/p voltage.

well. i have 2 monitors. the one is broken and the other fine . i make my tests on the broken. if i power from the +5 and +12, the lcd does turn on, but since its broken, i cant really know how it will go, working for much time (or with the brigthness). how would i go boosting the 12v on the PSU?? i cant raise the whole 12v rail, cause it will be powering my pc as well...

No you'd need to have a pc psu just for powering the monitor if you were to mod one, which I suspect kinda misses the point.

increasing 12V to 14.5V is trivial

BUT, to give you good help, we really need to know what current is needed on the 14.5V rail
telling us it might be ~ 2 amps between the 2 rails isn't really helpful
you need to be specific

most monitor PSU's run at ~ 4 to 5 Amps when they use 12V
since you haven't told us what sort of monitor it is, or if it was originally running off a plugpack or had some other source ??
its a little difficult to give you specific help

Dave

IMHO, the monitor works even with 12V dc in place of 14.5. let settra try that first.

well. i figured it is reasier to just buy a booster, so i bough an adjustable voltage booster... (although i do think it would work with 12v as well)

in many cases the electrolytic caps bulge and / or get dry increasing the ESR values. replacing them
and a fuse with diodes checked and mos-fet and its source resistor replacement, would normally restore the original power supply element itself.

these devices that increase the input voltage, might obviously reduce the load current
unless it is designed for the current we need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back