Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v motor reversing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan8864

I have a 12v auto spoiler that is moved up and down by a reversing motor. The spoiler has micro switches to sense the fully up position and the retracted position. I want to control it with a STDP ON-ON switch for fully up or fully down with the micro switches limiting the travel in each position.
Can someone offer a circuit and relay combination that will do the job?

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
This page should give you some ideas (not mine):

**broken link removed**

Note that you should only do the diode thing with the limit switches if they are designed to handle the current/voltage loads of the motor. But basically, if they can, then you can use a 3-position (On-Off-On) return-to-center DPDT switch (where center is off), cross-wired an h-bridge config (make sure the switch is rated for the current capability of the motor) to control the whole thing. Also - install a fuse (rated for the stall current of the motor) just after the positive battery connection to this setup (unless you want a wire harness fire at some point in the future).

food for thought,,,do you happen to have air shocks on your auto? it would be easy to do w/ minature air cylinders also.

opps. missed the part about already having.......

Last edited:
As it turns out, I described the switch in the car incorrectly. It is actually a 3-position (On-Off-On) return-to-center DPDT as you described. The goal is for it to raise the spoiler all the way with one momentary input and retract it all the way with another push in the opposite direction. No intermediate positions.

Thanks.

how bout a latching relay, you can have it operate till the limit switch cuts it off. (you may want to read the laser alarm thread) , has a similar theory.
also there has been quite a few "automatic chicken coop doors" threads, a similar electro/machanical design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back