Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v inverter needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanmichaud

I am buying an Infrared CCTV camera and wanted to power it from a 12v car battery. I am being asked if I need a 12v inverter but I have no idea. The camera power is 12v 1.5amp and has an AC adaptor that runs 12v 2amp. Would anyone be able to tell me if I need a 12v inverter? if so what do I need?
Many thanks
Allan Michaud

allanmichaud said:
I am buying an Infrared CCTV camera and wanted to power it from a 12v car battery. I am being asked if I need a 12v inverter but I have no idea. The camera power is 12v 1.5amp and has an AC adaptor that runs 12v 2amp. Would anyone be able to tell me if I need a 12v inverter? if so what do I need?
Many thanks
Allan Michaud

hi,
If you plan to operate the camera from say, a 12V car battery or the AC adaptor which is rated at 12V, 2A the answer is, you do not need an invertor.:)

ericgibbs said:
hi,
If you plan to operate the camera from say, a 12V car battery or the AC adaptor which is rated at 12V, 2A the answer is, you do not need an invertor.:)

Perhaps he needs a sort of protection from the spikes the alternator or the car's ignition system generates.

Thanks only use car battery

Many thanks
I am a wildlife photographer and will only ever use these cameras from 12v car battery. As I need to run it up to 14 hours a night I am planning to use a 30amp or larger battery in case that makes any difference.
Haven't quite worked how I am going to charge all this stuff daily for 2 weeks. Apart from 2 cameras I also have to charge a couple of digital devices too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back