Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V Halogen off batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pax Writer

Hey experts

This is probably an easy one. I'm trying to build a simple flashlight from a standard 12V halogen spotlight for household use, and I need it to run on batteries. As far as I know, there are no commonly available (and cheap) 12V batteries available, so I imagined to make a battery pack from common battery types.
I don't want it to be too big, so 8 x 1,5V is not such a good idea - Also because I'd probably have to mount several in parallel in order to properly supply the spotlight.
Now the questions are:
- What voltages can these spotlights accept?
- What combination of batteries would you suggest to power the gadget?
- Are there other and better standard halogen spotlights, I should consider using?

To consider:
- The flashlight is not meant for sustained use - Just bursts of light 30-60 seconds at a time.
- Size does matter. 8x1,5 type D batteries is too large.
- Other suggested types of spotlight should have apprx. 30deg. beam and effect of 20-40W if its indeed possible to construct from batteries.

Thanks in advance for your ideas :)

Presumably you're wanting a very bright torch?, have you considered the million candle power jobs you can buy quite cheaply - these include a sealed lead acid battery, plus chargers etc.

Otherwise, if you're talking a 60W halogen, that's 5A - so you really need a decent battery size, D sized NiCd/NimH or better? (and ten of them for 12V, not 8) - but preferably a sealed lead acid.

Pax Writer said:
Hey experts
Now the questions are:
- What voltages can these spotlights accept? Well, you did mention 12 volts, right? So, how does this become a question then? Or did you mean to say Current Draw?
- What combination of batteries would you suggest to power the gadget? Like Nigel already stated, 10 cells, not eight.
- Are there other and better standard halogen spotlights, I should consider using? Without a doubt, yes! I have a spot light that operates from it's internal 6v battery, also has a hand crank dynamo for charging the battery, comes with a 12v cigarette lighter adaptor and a wall transformer for 120vAC. The spotlight also has 6 bluish-white hi-intensity LEDs in addition to the halogen bulb. The power switch is both momentary or can be pressed in further for a steady spotlight beam or LED floodlight. Best of all the entire package cost me $15 US !!! I placed a link to it below.

To consider:
- The flashlight is not meant for sustained use - Just bursts of light 30-60 seconds at a time.
- Size does matter. 8x1,5 type D batteries is too large.
- Other suggested types of spotlight should have apprx. 30deg. beam and effect of 20-40W if its indeed possible to construct from batteries.
**broken link removed**

Pax Writer said:
As far as I know, there are no commonly available (and cheap) 12V batteries available, so I imagined to make a battery pack from common battery types.
That's not true, go to your local garage and buy a sealed lead acid motorcycle battery.

Hero999 said:
That's not true, go to your local garage and buy a sealed lead acid motorcycle battery.

Or even cheaper, ask at a local alarm company, they replace the batteries as a matter of course during routine servicing - there's rarely anything wrong with them.

But I think the O.P. wants the battery pack to be small and lightweight. The spotlight I gave the link to has an internal 6v pack plus the capability to recharge it from a built-in dynamo, or automobile & 120vAC sources. For $15 that's a very good deal.

You coul also consider using an LED light or a fluroscent tube to make your battery last longer.

Hello all

First of all I'd like to excuse my absence. I thought the first answer would be the only answer, so I didn't check again later. Sorry for that, because you gave me good answers.
Being done with the excusing of my ignorance, I will go on to comment some of your comments:

1. First of all, as HiTech pointed out, the battery should be small and light while still providing 12V. Of course this is only achievable by reducing the capacity of the battery (is it called capacity when we talk about batteries, or do they have their own word - I'm talking about the Ah-value).

@Nigel: The idea with the 10 D type batteries is good but way too bulky and heavy. I agree with the sealed lead type, and I'm currently trying to located the smallest possible one.
@HiTech:
Originally Posted by Pax Writer
Hey experts
Now the questions are:
- What voltages can these spotlights accept? Well, you did mention 12 volts, right? So, how does this become a question then? Or did you mean to say Current Draw? No. I did mean voltage. Some bulbs will also accept greater or smaller than stated voltages at the expense of either light output or life span. What I was trying to figure out was if I could drive the 12V halogens with, say, 9,6V or 14,5V and what the effects might be - Preferebly commented on by someone with that particular kind of experience.
- What combination of batteries would you suggest to power the gadget? Like Nigel already stated, 10 cells, not eight. I assumed a voltage of 1,5V and not 1,2V - But I stand corrected :)
- Are there other and better standard halogen spotlights, I should consider using? Without a doubt, yes! I have a spot light that operates from it's internal 6v battery, also has a hand crank dynamo for charging the battery, comes with a 12v cigarette lighter adaptor and a wall transformer for 120vAC. The spotlight also has 6 bluish-white hi-intensity LEDs in addition to the halogen bulb. The power switch is both momentary or can be pressed in further for a steady spotlight beam or LED floodlight. Best of all the entire package cost me $15 US !!! I placed a link to it below. Thank you. I'll take a look at it as soon as I'm done answering, but already it sounds rather good.[/QUOTE]

@HarveyH42: Thank you very much - This sounds interesting. I'll take a look at your link right away.

@Hero: Well, I considered it, but quite frankly I'm trying to build a serious light projector for my airsoft-rifle. This means that it should be relatively small, cheap (so I won't cry when it gets shot out) and shine like h*** when I push the activate-button. LEDs just don't cut it. They don't shine bright or long enough. I can't even imagine that flourescent tubes will be focused enough. Ideally I will find a small but efficient 12V or 12V-ish battery which will light up a 35W or even 50W halogen bulb (12deg. spread) and a suitable aluminium or steel tube to build it into so I can mound nuts, screws and the like in it, knowing that it is a mechanically safe solution which will stand up to some yanking around.
I know I could get a Surefire-torch like most others, but I want something much more shiny, and with much cheaper bulbs available. The Xenon-bulbs for some of the Surefires are pretty expensive. Of course there is also the satisfaction of having built the bugger by myself :)

You can get some pretty powerful LEDs, I've seen some upwards of 10W. They're durable and won't be damaged by mechanical vibration. The only thing is they're expensive and probably out of your price range.

A quartz/halogen lamp must be operated at its design voltage for the "halogen cycle" to operate properly. If undervoltage, the envelope will begin to darken and the life will shorten.

Dean

The bike lights are designed to throw a narrow beam, and probably come with something to clamp on to a tube . There are LED replacements for halogen downlights but the light is still a bit weak, for me.

@Hero: Thanks for the comment, although sadly it only served to remind me of my poverty :(

@Dean: That was a bit surprising. It must be the first time I've heard about undervoltage shortening a component's life. Good to know. Thanks!

@Super: Your comment is noted. Common sense tells me you're right. I'll look into the whole bike-light thing.

Thank you all :)

Some thoughts/comments:

A. If you've identified the spotlight or have actually purchased it, determining the nominal current requirement (at nominal voltage) would go a long way to helping you identify a proper battery. You might see if you can shop on-line to see if any data is available.

B. On occasion I'll see references to various sites that provide a wealth of information on batteries. I wish I had kept the URLs. As I recall there was enough information there to help you determine minimum requirements.

A suggestion would be to just pick a spotlight where you have some information on power requirements then compare it to the various batteries. I suspect that battery life is impacted as short term current demands increase but you can deal with that. You might find on your first pass thru that the minimum battery pack exceeds your size limits - the choice might then be to reduce the electrical requirements or change your requirements.

C. It appears from much of the discussion that the lamps/bulbs being considered are incandescant or LED. High Intensity Discharge, HID, might be an alternative. Some of the high end bike lights are HID. I have HID headlights in my truck. They are very efficient light sources - in other words for the power in they deliver a lot of light output. They are relatively expensive but offer a lot of light per pound. Note that the battery supplies power to a power supply (or ballast, or whatever you want to call it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back