Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V dv hack to psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNIPE

Banned
this is a USB express card reader which uses its own transformer

**broken link removed**

the psu motherboard and ports i'm using is from the new mac mini

i am making a computer enclosure for all this so the card reader needs to be internally mounted but it has its own 12v dc supply, is they a way to get the power to the card reader from the mac mini internal psu?

Apple (United Kingdom) - Mac mini - The most affordable, energy-efficient Mac.

Last edited:
they is a molex/PATA which ill be converting to a SATA with a board for the CD player

but the PSU plugs into the wall as the psu is internal,the power supply from the express card reader is the same type too

any pics of the connectors, see the links ^ ^ ^

Last edited:
No Snipe, 12 are the volts. I mean amperes. According to your site the device consumes 3 Watt, so:

W = V x A

A= W / V

A= 0,25 amperes

No problem if you plug it into the 12V line feeding the CD unit!

No if you do it as shown

(see attached picture)

PS: You should read some electronics basics, specially about in-series and parallel circuits. That will help you a lot on future modding projects

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Yes. Should be.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back