Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V DC to 24V AC mini converter for Xmas lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules

I have a basic set of outdoor Xmas lights which I want to power away from any AC supply. The lights need 24V AC at 6 watts to power the 6 light sequences, and there are 4 separate light strings in total, not a single string, so I can't just cut the transformer power lead off and connect directly to a 12 V battery. I want a simple DC - AC converter, powered from a 12volt lead acid rechargeable battery. There must be a simple schematic around. Any help please? I'm guessing some form of oscillator circuit using power transistors?

what type of lights? are you sure they wouldn't work on 24VDC too?
maybe all you need is one more 12V battery...

24V AC from DC converter

They are standard small filament bulbs, but wired in 4 strings from a "control box" with 6 possible flashing patterns. I guess the need the AC component in the current to activate this. I tried connecting the power lead (which should fit into a 24V AC transformer) to a 12 volt lead acid battery, and nothing lit up, so am pretty sure that it would work using 24V AC if I could get it. Need a 6VA supply

Here is a Unique one using car amp.

Attachments

• dc-dc_converter_tda2004.gif
    dc-dc_converter_tda2004.gif
    26 KB · Views: 2,900
Ommit the transformer on this one.

Attachments

• 555dcac.gif
    555dcac.gif
    8 KB · Views: 1,881
mini DC to AC converter

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try both of these circuits and let you know how I get on. From first glance it looks lie each could give about 24V AC, which isn't too critical. 20V - 28V would most likely work fine. The frequency wouldn't need to be exactly 50Hz either.

Jules - have you actually tested the lights on 24 vdc and 24 vac? I may have missed something but it looks like you described a test at 12 vdc. My concern is that you'll do all the work to generate 24 vac and find it still won't work. You refer to a control box - I wonder if there could be a transformer in there suggesting a requirement for AC. As already suggested, if 24 vdc will work then another 12 v battery might be an alternative. I know at the local surplus place here I can buy a 12 volt, 7AH gel cell for $6 (US). A larger auto battery is about $29.

12V to 24V AC inverter

The lights came with a transformer, which gives 24V AC at 6VA.
Nothing happens if I apply DC to the input power connector - must be some blocking rectifier diodes or something. I can't just buy a simple string of low voltage bulbs here - low voltage lights are supplied with a 24V AC transformer, and have a control box and lots of wiring to 4 different light strings.

Re: 12V to 24V AC inverter

Jules said:
The lights came with a transformer, which gives 24V AC at 6VA.
Nothing happens if I apply DC to the input power connector - must be some blocking rectifier diodes or something.

You didn't really answer the question, have you tried applying 24V DC, and not just a lower DC voltage - in fact you would probably need more than 24V DC, because the 24V AC will give nearer 36V when rectified.

Usually the unit will have a bridge rectifier inside, which as well as rectifying the AC from the transformer will also accept a DC input (of either polarity) and 'steer' it accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back