Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v CD player volume control with rotary encoder and push buttons? Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlvrSky07

Hello all. I am trying to get the finial stages of a media center figured out. My setup integrates a hidden pioneer deh-p6400 cd player (just for eq and volume control) and my tablet. Where I am getting stuck is with the volume control. It uses a rotary encoder and I would like to integrate push button controls for volume up and down too. The push button control unit has 3 wires, one for volume up, volume down and a wire to connect power or ground through the switch. Is there a way I can use some logic chip to output the same binary signal needed when I press a push button either way? I uploaded the schematic for the cd player volume control circuit.

I have tried connecting a wire from the gnd terminal and touching it to either of the lines that have the 5v. It does not change it that way.

I also checked the encoder and it was pretty random for the frequency. I couldn't see a pattern. I think it was relative to the speed I spun the knob. So I made a 555 timer astable mode circuit and outputed to 65Hz. I ran it off the cd players power and tried outputting the 5v 65Hz to the signal wires and it didn't change the volume. I didnt think the input voltage should be from the wire SWDVDD (pin11) do you? Do you think the output for volume down should be to Pin11 and volume up be RDTO (pin4)? Or is the power for the encoder pin 11 and depending on the binary out from the encoder to pin 4 changes the volume? Any advice would help!
volume.jpg

volume1.jpg

Rotary encoders work by outputting two rows of pulses - the frequency of the pulses gives the speed of rotation, and the phase difference between the two rows of pulses gives the direction of travel.

So it's not a simple high/low signal - easiest way to duplicate it from button presses would probably to program a micro-controller to do it?.

Is it possible to use a certain IC that's pre programmed or would it have to be something custom? How would you go about finding out the signal needed to do so? Also do you think the signal gets sent back to pin 4 or 11?

Is it possible to use a certain IC that's pre programmed or would it have to be something custom? How would you go about finding out the signal needed to do so? Also do you think the signal gets sent back to pin 4 or 11?

If you could find a custom IC then that would obviously work, but I've never heard of one, and I doubt there's any market for one?.

The signal is a standard quadrature encoder output - a simple google will tell you all you need to know:

https://www.ni.com/white-paper/4763/en/

The signals (TWO of them) go to pins 4 and 6, pin 11 is the supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back