Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v battery hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloratov

Probably a simple question, but figure I should ask. I have a circuit that is running off 12v. The plan is to run it off a car battery. My question is this, the circuit is 12v, pulling roughly 120mA, whats the risk of frying the circuit? And, should I put a fuse inline?

A 1/4 amp inline fuse wouldn't hurt, just to be safe. If you are using the battery that is not installed in a vehicle, the voltage may be higher than 12v when fully charged.

Last edited:
Ok, I will add the fuse. Seemed to be a good idea. Not to worried if the voltage goes a bit over 12v, the parts I chose are rated for it...main reason I chose them. Was more worried about the amps behind the battery, but I think I understand that a circuit will only pull what it needs, and wont get "pushed" by them. Is that correct...not sure how to say it but I know what I mean.

Ok, I will add the fuse. Seemed to be a good idea. Not to worried if the voltage goes a bit over 12v, the parts I chose are rated for it...main reason I chose them. Was more worried about the amps behind the battery, but I think I understand that a circuit will only pull what it needs, and wont get "pushed" by them. Is that correct...not sure how to say it but I know what I mean.

Yes, the latter is correct. At the given voltage(s) the load was designed for it will only draw its rated current regardless of what the power source is capable of.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back