Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v Auto Battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xl5

Hello again from xl5.
The battery in my car is ok but the terminals and cables connected to it need cleaned, also the well that the battery sits in can do with a spruce up.

I am reluctant to disconnect the battery to remove it as i will lose the code for my expensive radio/cd unit when interrupted and i don't happen to have the code to re-enter it. I could if i had another car battery handy connect it in parallel temporarily with jump leads to a positive point lower down this would then would allow me to remove the original battery for access.

An alternative thought might be to source the always 12v supply to the radio and use say a 12v backup battery from a house alarm to power the memory cct, would this latter idea be feasible?.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,
Can you borrow a 12V lead acid battery charger or a 12Vdc power supply.
Keep it clipped to the battery leads while you remove the car battery.

Obvious answer is to find out the code - because your battery is going to go flat one day, and you'll need it then!.

Coded car radios are really stupid, and it doesn't stop people stealing them anyway!.

But for your immediate problem, 9V battery, blocking diode, and a cigar lighter plug - you can even buy them ready made commercially!. For you a battery, a diode, and two croc clip leads would be enough.

You could still use a battery charger (or booster pack), plug it to your main Fuse box in the hood, then disconnect your battery pole, clean them, reconnect your battery pole, and that's it.

Still possible on many car to start the car, disconnect the battery, clean the pole, reconnect the battery, then stop he car.

Using the cigar lighter may work, but many are switched, so even if you sit a battery in.. it won't work.

HTH

Thankyou for a rapid reply both idea's are excellent i never thought of doing this probably i had tunnel vision regarding current drawn, but as long as everything is switched off in the car i presume current loss will be low!.

Incidently i did notice awhile back that a label on the radio chassis say's "not coded" but i can't believe this on a quality radio?

As for the radio code i agree it is a nuisance but will eventually get round to aquiring it.

Could this be a project for a designer on this forum to submit a design for say a low current radio code backup i'm sure some would like this.

xl5 said:
Incidently i did notice awhile back that a label on the radio chassis say's "not coded" but i can't believe this on a quality radio?

I would like to think that a quality radio WOULDN'T be coded, it's a pointless exercise in the first place!.

If it's of any interest?, my Fiat Punto Blaupunkt radio is coded to the car ECU, so it will only work in a Punto, and only in mine without entering a code. But while it's in mine you can disconnect the battery with no problems.

Yes there's a few radio decoder here and there ;) Sometimes it's easy, sometimes not. If you're the first owner, there's no real problem, call you car dealer, unless you may have to go there and pay to have it.

Depending of the model, some can be bypassed, some will not prompt for a code unless you move it to another car.

I know someone in UK offering this service, http://www.davidsonelectronics.co.uk/

EDIT: yup code and quality radio/car brands don't mean anything. I've laugh when i saw my first Kia, Hyundai and lately the cheapest GM car (which i don't remind the name).

HTH

Last edited:
12v car battery.

Thanks for the input given including the code website i decided since the sun came out today i would now throw caution to the wind and remove the car battery to clean everything up. that white label with the message (Not Coded) on the radio chassis is correct as reconnecting the battery etc the radio worked ok albeit i got a bit of a fright as it was silent at first only the scale illumination was lit but some seconds later sweet music to my ears all radio staions present including sound from the cd section. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back