Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v~8v to 3v

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerdrinker

Hello to all!
This is my first post in this forum, I’m Pedro from Portugal, and I appreciate your help in the following issue:
I own some photographic flashes and they transmit current to the camera wen connected to it. The problem is that the old flashes transmit, in this specific case, between 12v to 8v and the major digital cameras only accept no more than 6v.
Is there any way, with a simple and little circuit or electronically device, transform this 12v~8v in no more than 6v? 3v will be awesome! The mHa is the smallest the better.
I really appreciate your help, thank you

Are you asking about powering the flash, or triggering the flash?

Dear sir,
it's to trigger the flash!
the cable connecting the flash to the camera send between 12v~8v.
The camera supports the maximum of 6v, otherwise it will fry... :(
Thank you

Doesn't the camera trigger the flash; not the other way around? I'm confused about why the flash would be sending anything to the camera?

Do you have a Multimeter (Voltmeter)?

Last edited:
Dear Sir,
The flash sends this voltage to the camera (measured by me with a multimeter). And then, when we shoot the camera it will trigger the flash by clossing the contacts (creating a short circuit).

Ok, I understand. Most likely, the camera has a MOSFET or NPN transistor switch to ground, and the Flash has an input where the pull-up resistor is returned to an internal voltage which is much higher than the camera's internal voltage.

With the flash unit turned on, but not connected to the camera, what is the voltage at the trigger input measured with respect to the flash's ground pin? Is it 8 to 12V?

Put your meter in the DC current measurement mode, ~100mA scale. With the flash powered, connect the red probe to the flash's trigger input, and the black probe to the flash's ground pin. That should fire the flash, but I want you to measure the peak current while the probes are in place, just as the flash goes off.

What is the camera's battery voltage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back