Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v 2 second cooldown circuit help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

supadave

First off, I'm a newb and will admit it. I know how to read circuit schematics for the most part but unfortunetly with my limited experience working at this level I need some help. I've never actually built a circuit but I have replaced components and such with direction. With that said, here is what I need and I hope it is simple. I'll try to keep it simple.

I got a 12vDC power source feeding an LED light. When the power source gets turned off I need about 2 seconds of residual charge going to the device and it doesn't need to be 12vDC it can slow drain like I imagine a Capacitor would do. I just don't know what I need to build such a circuit. What type and size cap and if I need anything else, etc. Please, I really need this for a project and need some help. I tried searching for a while but couldn't find anything. I may not of searched the right keywords either but I did try.

Thank you.
David

Last edited:
Hi David

This is where some info is needed about the LED and LED circuit. Maybe a circuit drawing? For example using a capacitor as you mention the LED current would need to be known to determine how long the LED would remain on after the supply was removed.

Ron

It's a standard 12V LED light that you buy from radio shack. it does have a built in resistor, but I assume that is to just rugulate the 12V I hooked it up to a 12V switching power supply on my bench and it will do a 3 second slow drain when I turn off the switching power supply. That's what I need. The 12v source from withen the device doesn't provide that fade. I need to interject someting that will. Im at work so I'm not sure what the amps are on the LED if that is what you are needing. Told you I was a newb.

Last edited:
Based on PM and subsequent conversation now I got it and yes what you want is a re triggerable one shot.

For those or anyone curious a system delivers 12 volt pulses. While pulses are arriving the user wants a LED to remain lit. When the pulses stop the LED should time out and extinguish. Along the lines of a missing pulse detector or re triggerable one shot. Dave found something online that will work.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back