Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V 0.5A regulated Power supply no IC regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

fingers

Hi,

I need a circuit diagram for a power supply which will give a regulated 12V output under any load, and must be able to deliver at least 350mA. I cannot use IC regulators, short circuit protection needs to be included.
Does anyone have a known working circuit diagram for something like this. I have been trying to make my circuit work, but have had no luck with regulation.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

fingers said:
Hi,

I need a circuit diagram for a power supply which will give a regulated 12V output under any load, and must be able to deliver at least 350mA. I cannot use IC regulators, short circuit protection needs to be included.
Does anyone have a known working circuit diagram for something like this. I have been trying to make my circuit work, but have had no luck with regulation.

Presumably this is for a school assignment?.

Yes it is. Not hard to guess I suppose! Its a lot harder than I expected it to be.

fingers said:
Yes it is. Not hard to guess I suppose! Its a lot harder than I expected it to be.

Post the circuit of what you've done so far, and we can make suggestions - but we're not here to do all your work for you! 8)

Here it is, I have replaced the two diodes for a bridge rectifier. My transformer is 2x 15V (about 21Vdc after rectification) without a centre tap. I need a reliable 12V.

Attachments

• ps_plus_12v_reg.gif
    ps_plus_12v_reg.gif
    3 KB · Views: 303
The 10K resistor is too high to feed the base, it's needs to be a lower value - but be aware of dissipation in the zener diode.

This simple type of regulator will never have great regulation, as there's no feedback - but it's fine for many purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back