Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not likely.

To make even the most basic EMP generator of sorts that might work in a 1 foot radius you will need to be able to dump several thousand volts at least a few hundred amps through an open air coil in a few microseconds which is about a million times more energy that what a stun gun puts out with each snap.

Not likely.
Well TCM there you go again with all that negativity.

What irpwns needs to do is to get in touch with Emmett Brown and see if he has a spare "Mr Fusion" generator which he would be willing to part with.
Once he has one of those hooked up to his stun gun, who knows what will be possible?

EMP - no problem.

Time Travel - OK, but just make sure that the time circuits are reliable.

JimB
Not only in frivolous mood, thinking that the original concept of a pocket EMP generator is a little bit impossible.

Who needs a EMP inside a 1ft radius? If you want to turn your old walkman into a brick, you've already got a tazer, just taze it. ;)

I am not sure how much power a flash capacitor is on a disposable camera, but it is said that is sufficient for a weak emp.

I am not sure who said it but no it wont. :eek:

When a camera flashes it dumps the capacitors charge through the flash tube and that doesn't produce enough of a pulse to even screw up the cameras electronics and that contained inside the body right next to the flash bulb itself. :(

A camera flash capacitor holds around 300 - 400 volts at a few tens of uf and has a moderately high ESR. What you need is a capacitor that holds at least 10 - 20 times more voltage and is rated in the many hundreds to a few thousand uf range with a very very low ESR value.
Basicaly something that can dump several 100,000 times more energy than a camera flash puts out and in about 1/100th the time.

Well TCM there you go again with all that negativity.

Yes my wife tells me that all the time and I keep replying I already know I am negative I 'm the one who told you, now bugger off. :p

Yes my wife tells me that all the time and I keep replying I already know I am negative I 'm the one who told you, now bugger off.
ROTFLMAO
JimB

This is the only non nuclear EMP device worth mentioning. And it still involves explosives of some kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator

Before you get to crazy experimenting though, consider this.
(1) The power and usefulness of "The EMP" is largely a myth. Only sensitive devices are ever at risk.
(2) Most devices that are affected by an EMP would be better affected by an RF jammer.
(3) Creating "an EMP device" could be considered a crime in your area. (As jammers usually are)

Edit: Plus rep me if you liked this btw

-()b

Last edited:
I made one as a teenager. It produced deep blue 3 inch sparks and wrecked my sisters tape player about a foot away. I got the mother of all electric shocks from it. Posting how I did it would be irresponsible as I am lucky to be alive today, older and wiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back