Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120VAC -> 60VAC Transformer Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

micro571

Hi,

I need to take the mains voltage and reduce it to approx 60VAC. I was looking on Radio Shack's website, and I don't see any transformers that are suitable. I didn't think I would, because this is a rather odd voltage.

What are some other solutions? I tried taking some of the coils off of a 120->12VAC transformer, but that just ruined the transformer =). I don't have any problem tearing apart a DC transformer or something like that if that's the answer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How much current do you need ? The easiest thing I can think of is use a
220 to 120 stepdown transformer. If you put half (120) in you'll get half (60)
out (approx) :D

gerty said:
How much current do you need ? The easiest thing I can think of is use a
220 to 120 stepdown transformer. If you put half (120) in you'll get half (60)
out (approx) :D

That is the winning Answer. I agree totally.

micro571 said:
Hi,

I need to take the mains voltage and reduce it to approx 60VAC. I was looking on Radio Shack's website, and I don't see any transformers that are suitable. I didn't think I would, because this is a rather odd voltage.

What are some other solutions? I tried taking some of the coils off of a 120->12VAC transformer, but that just ruined the transformer =). I don't have any problem tearing apart a DC transformer or something like that if that's the answer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh you can easily find 2:1 power transformers.. forget radio shack..
Search the web like acme for example.. google it, you'll have one in no time.

Don't need much current at all.

Here's a solution I've rigged up that seems to work. If you guys could comment on it, good or bad that'd be appreciated.

A placed (2) 45K resistors in series over the two wires from the wall socket. Over one of them, I get 60V, with little ACA. Will this work ok?

These are also called StepDown Transformers or Control transformers.
Try Grainger

The current is very low on the resistors. They will get real hot and Burn up with any wattage above their rated Wattage. What Wattage resistor are you using?
I have another Idea Hook two Transformers in series and tap off of the middle terminal.

Attachments

• 120-60.gif
    120-60.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 757
micro571 said:
Don't need much current at all.

Here's a solution I've rigged up that seems to work. If you guys could comment on it, good or bad that'd be appreciated.

A placed (2) 45K resistors in series over the two wires from the wall socket. Over one of them, I get 60V, with little ACA. Will this work ok?

I suggest you tell us EXACTLY what you are trying to do, if you're talking extremely low current levels transformers 'might not' be required, but may still be prefered for safety.

I see variacs for sale now and then - might be a solution although overkill if you only need a little current. I paid $10 for my variac - I don't think I could buy a 220/110 transformer for that price. I don't think these provide the isolation you need.

Isolation leads to next suggestion - obtain isolation transfomer (1:1) then use appropriately sized resistors.

Older industrial systems use transformer to step higher voltages down - like the 220/110. While overkill you might find one in a surplus store - or get an electrician to give you one.

As others have said, keep safety in mind here and if you aren't skilled in working with mains voltages get help or stay away.

I need the 60VAC to ring a phone. Very low current (just a few mA) are required, because it's not a regular phone with a ringer, it's a digital phone with a REN value of 0.

I've got it ringing with the 2 resistor solution. Also, I don't have a lot of room in the box the whole thing with be housed in, so an isolation transformer wouldn't be too practical, atleast the ones I've seen that are 20lbs =).

Micro

micro571 said:
I need the 60VAC to ring a phone. Very low current (just a few mA) are required, because it's not a regular phone with a ringer, it's a digital phone with a REN value of 0.

I've got it ringing with the 2 resistor solution. Also, I don't have a lot of room in the box the whole thing with be housed in, so an isolation transformer wouldn't be too practical, atleast the ones I've seen that are 20lbs =).

I suggest you ask EXACTLY! what you want to do, so far it sounds extremely dangerous using live mains for a phone!.

Another Ringer Supply

I ageree with Nigel - ISOLATE !

How about using two little transformers as below - a few quid each, both of the sort used in transistor radios.
The first one is 120v to 6v - this can supply any logic you may require?
the second is used backwards as a step-up, a 12v to 120v transformer gives 60v out.
There are myriad variations on this.

ps. the step-up transformer needs to be a lower current rating than the step-down in order to ensure the step-down transformer isn't overloaded.

Attachments

• ringer_supply.gif
    ringer_supply.gif
    3 KB · Views: 630
Maybe I didn't understand your circuit ... but this is what I tried.

I took a 120VAC->6VDC transformer, plugged it in, fed the 6VDC into the output of a 120VAC->12VDC transformer, expecting approx 60VAC to come off of the plug connection.

I did that, but I measured like 0.1VAC ... did I do something wrong or totally misinterperet the circuit?

Transformers working only with AC voltage.... The wallwart supply produce DC. Open it, and connect two wires directly to transformer secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back