Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120 Watt Amplifier with Reverb, 9 tubes, 12 knobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who do not listen to music are either completely deaf or are tone deaf. Then any lousy amplifier sounds good.
50 years ago I sold my vacuum tubes (valves) amplifier to an old man. He would also buy this one but he is not alive anymore.

I have been trying to sell this amp for 6 months best offer so far is $100. I hate to distroy a good amp but parts for worth $500 on ebay and they are much easier to sell. First I sell the new tubes on ebay.

Next I will try to sell the chassie for $100. It it wont sell then the audio transformer, then the power transformer, then the reverb, then 12 chicken head knobs, then all the variable resistors should bring in $200.

Then I strip out the good parts and trash the rest. Does anyone want to make a reasonable offer before it is too late?

Sorry Gary, but you seem to have unreasonable expectations for what it's worth :D

If you can get idiots on Ebay to pay silly money for the parts, then go for it.

I'm sure it needs tube dampers fitted to make it worth that much ;):p
If someone offered me $100 for it, I would take it away free, ok maybe not :hilarious:

Seriously though, I guess if you could find someone with an old Fender Amp that needed an output transformer and a spare set of Valves, it's probably worth $50-$75 to them, but Nigel is quite correct, the ebay prices for things like this is well beyond what it is actually worth in the real world, mainly because of the words "retro" and "vintage" being introduced in the listing, sometimes together in the same listing, by those that know no better. You will also find that shipping that weight and size will cost almost as much as you will be asking for it, so unless someone is in real need...well you get the idea...

I would say, if you have been offered $100 for it already, take it and put it to better use :)

NEW matched pair of 6550/MT88 tubes are $127 on ebay.

NEW 12AX7a on ebay $12 to $20 each. 4 tubes $44 on ebay.

NEW 12AT7a on ebay $13 to $17 each. 2 tubes $26

Total for tubes = $197.

Audio transformers for 6550 push pull tubes are selling for $75 to $90 some priced as high as $150. It will sell for $75 on ebay.

Power transformer for 120 watt push pull power range are selling for$100 on ebay.

The chassie with reverb, 12 controls, knobs, parts, etc is probably the easiest thing to sell $100 on ebay. I just sold 3 old tube amp chassies on ebay I salvaged from old record players for $35, $24 and $56 without the tubes. I think some people already have tubes, all they need is the amp chassie.

Total so far $127, $44, $26, $75, $100, $100. = $472 on ebay and buyer pays postage. Ebay and paypal get about 10% each so that leaves me with $377.

If it is worth $377 as parts then it is worth $377 as an amplifier too.

I priced it for $500 because everyone wants to jew down the seller. I figured someone would make an offer of $250 and we would end up meeting in the middle for about $375.

In 1973 Dynaco 120 amp kits were $45 dollars, now the amps sell for $900 on ebay. Lots of people want tube amps they claim they sound better than solid state amps.

Last edited:
The old parts and amplifiers are listed for high prices but is anybody buying the old junk?
Some rock groups replace the vacuum tubes in their old amplifiers for every show. 52 years ago my tube amplifier sounded awful after about 3 months because its tubes wore out and became unmatched.
My first stereo FM receiver is 50 years old and is solid state. It still sounds perfect.

If you want a realistic valuation of it, take it round to your local pawn brokers and ask them to place a value on it, then add 10-15% to be sure. I'm betting it's nowhere near what you think. I have seen valves listed on ebay for seriously eye watering amounts of money and some with prices that are just simply misguided. Now that could be because those tubes were the ones with the gold paint on them, as opposed to the ones with the yellow paint, had a bulge in the envelope or had a square getter and flat plates. It could even be that the seller has invested in an old hickok tester fitted with bad caps and wildly out of spec resistors and has "carefully" matched your valves for mu, not. Take your pick, but all of them are way over priced. I just took a little peek at the bay just now, and without working too hard, found your 12's new old stock for $20 for a box of 10 mixed RCA/ GE types and your matched 6550's new for $25, both plus shipping obviously. Now my point here is that no doubt someone will want at least some part of your amp, if they have a need, the chicken feet knobs may even end up on an old radio or something, but it took me less than 2 pages of results to find those prices from reputable sellers on there, a little more work and I'm sure I could procure them for even less. I haven't looked for available transformers, but I'll be surprised if the same example isn't replicated to a large degree. You may be very lucky though and find another person that has succumbed to that cherry glow, willing to part with their money, so I say go for it and report back what you did manage to sell it for :)

I priced it for $500 because everyone wants to jew down the seller. I figured someone would make an offer of $250 and we would end up meeting in the middle for about $375.

Sorry, but you're totally deluded :D - and trying to sell old junk on an electronics site (where people know what it's worth) is completely different to trying to sell it at auction to idiots.

Like my friend that owns and operates the local antique store says, an item is worth what every someone will pay for it.

I see old junk furniture in the antique shop I would not take home if it was free and price tags are $600 to $2500. LOL

I bought a large old heavy 4 foot tall wooden cabinet 1920s radio at a yard sale that did not work $25. I had it fixed in 30 minutes, took it to the antique shop they sold it for $650. LOL.

Nigel, you are 100% correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back