Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120 VAC to 6vdc board mount chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyn95

Hi there, I was looking for a chip that converts 120 vac to 6 vdc and rated 5/6 watt. I looked at digikey and other suppliers online- all I found was 120 VAC to 5/9/12 VDC but none with 6 Vdc output. I have two latching relays for my project ,the coil runs at 6 V 200 mA . I thought to use one power source for both relays. Could anyone please suggest me if there is any board mount ac-dc converter chip with these configuration. I am trying to avoid regulating the output myself using linear regulator.I will really appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.

Is your 120 volts ac isolated from the power line by a transformer? Most designs require isolation from mains voltage for safety reasons.

I thought to use the power line directly to my chip. I didn't know that I should use isolation transformer. Do you suggest I could use 120 Vac to 6 V adapter instead if I don't use any transformer.As I am doing an entry level project is their any alternative of isolation transformer.Thanks for helping me!

what about a cell phone charger? their always laying around somewhere. some of them put out close to 6v. I used one and changed the resistor on the chip to put out 7volts. I think that one had a 7660 sm convertor in it. I just got the data sheet and traced it out. Can't hurt to try....I'd just use a regulator and as stated already, a transformer of some type, better safe then,....:(

Last edited:
Hi Ronv thanks so much.That looks great. I am fairly new to electronic design world. Do you think I could simply adapter and cut out the output end to connect to my board.Thanks again.

Hi Joe G, thanks so much. I was wondering if I use cell phone charger do I still need an isolation transformer.

Last edited:
Can you check to see if your relay will operate from 5V? Most relays have a quoted tolerance for pull-in and drop-out voltage/current.

... I was wondering if I use cell phone charger do I still need an isolation transformer.

No. All of the Consumer Electronics wall-warts (be they older transformer-based, or newer Switch-mode converters) contain an isolation transformer as part of making them safe and for UL and other certification.

I never pass-up a $0.50 wall-wart at a garage or yard sale. Whenever I need one, I already have what I need in my junk box. I use the 12Vdc at 3A ones as vehicle stand-by battery float chargers...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. My datasheet for relay shows that it will work from 4.7V t 7.2 volt, but nominal is 6V. If it does not hurt the relay I will try to use a 5v charger or may be the kind of adapter ronv sent the link for. Thanks to you all.Great help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back