Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120 VAC Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

meterman

I have a 16 channel light controller that is made strictly for incadescent lighting. It will be controlled via computer program. The outputs are 120 VAC. I would like to hook up 120 VAC relays to some of the channels instead of lights. My question: Will the triacs trigger a relay without any problems? Will I have voltage spike when the relay coil is de-energized and if so what do I need to prevent this?

My guess is that you should have no problems hooking up 120V AC relay coils. If the output triac's were sized to drive normal light bulbs (Wattage up to 100W??) it should be safe to hook up a relay, that I'm sure will not consume more than 2Watt.
You need only to protect DC applications from induced voltages. I can't recall ever seeing any protection (i.e. a diode over a relay coil) for AC applications. (I might be wrong)

Thanks for the response. Each triac is rated for 8 amps. I'll try some relays and see how they work.

I think I have seen a capacitor in parallel with the relay contacts to prevent burning at the contact points.

Last edited:
I can't recall ever seeing any protection (i.e. a diode over a relay coil) for AC applications.
If you run into problems, you might want to try using a zobel network across the relay coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back