Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120 to 16 volt power adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwitty

Hey guys. New to the forum. I’m currently doing a project in my tech class where we could choose a circuit and build it. I am building a trickle charger for automotive 12 volt batteries and I’m done with the circuit but need an adapter to go from 120ac to 16v dc at around 1 amp. I can’t find any reasonably priced transformers. Anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance!

If you already have any on hand for lap tops etc, and they are higher voltage, just build a simple regulator. (LM317 etc).
Do you need it regulated?
Max.

If you already have any on hand for lap tops etc, and they are higher voltage, just build a simple regulator. (LM317 etc).
Do you need it regulated?
Max.
The circuit is running an lm317 to regulate to 13.25 volts with a zener diode after to act as a max voltage cutoff.

Just wondering if I could use a buck converter that could take 120 volts down to the 16 volts I need and 1 amp?

A discarded/borrowed laptop power supply / charger usually provides ~19 VDC, can be found at pawn/recycle/junk/computer/used stuff places; and your LM317 will be happy with it.

A discarded/borrowed laptop power supply / charger usually provides ~19 VDC, can be found at pawn/recycle/junk/computer/used stuff places; and your LM317 will be happy with it.
It needs to be 16 volts. Any lower and it won’t reach targeted value. Any higher and watts skyrocket as well as voltage. Is there a voltage regulator like the lm317 that has a lower voltage input-voltage output value? If I remember right the lm317 is ~3v

"Have you got a good heatsink on the LM317? " - No kidding !!

If there wasn't a concern for galvanic isolation, I would almost lean towards a gated regulator. When the AC is below a certain threshold voltage a transistor allows the full mains to enter, anything above is blocked. Sorry, I don't know the correct terminology for this type of regulator, but I have designed and tested such a regulator from 24VAC to 290VAC input with a variac transformer and it worked great for the application. With a rectified sine wave the output voltage looks like an "M" on a scope where the peak of the M is at the Zener voltage and the bottom of the M is 0V.

Attachments

• 15V Regulator.png
    15V Regulator.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
https://uk.farnell.com/texas-instruments/lm2941t-nopb/ic-reg-ldo-adj-1a-to220/dp/3007547

The data sheet is at https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/snvs770i/snvs770i.pdf

That will only need a 14.25 V supply to give 13.25 V. It might manage with a 14 V supply.

It is designed as a voltage regulator but it can be adapted to be a current regulator as well. If the feedback input is raised higher than 1.275 V, the output turns off, so if some current feedback is arranged to affect the feedback input, the current can be limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back