Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 volt power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt.A

I have a 12 volt camera feeding to a 12 volt monitor. The pan and tilt functions for the camera are also 12 volt. When I use the pan or tilt function the video cuts out momentarily, about 5 secs. I am suspecting that the monitor has some circuit protection in it that cuts out the display. Is there some sort of voltage supply circuit that I can build to maintain a more constant supply to the monitor or camera? All functions are working off the same 12 volt motor cycle battery.
Thanks for the help

Sounds like your opinion is correct, either that or noise from the motor is upsetting the monitor, the former is more likely.
You can get cheap 12v fixed power supplies designed for powering car cb radios at home, they usually come in 3 amp packages for a few quid, and have binding posts or bananna sockets.
Just be carefull not to get the polarity wrong.

There is no household current nearby to plug into hence the 12 volt battery. Once the function is in motion the monitor comes back on clear as a bell so I am not suspecting noise. When you release the function there is no issues. During the initial application of any function the monitor says "No Video Signal". Maybe the camera is not getting enough power to stay functioning??? I do have a scope to measure for noise if you still suspect noise.

I think that the inrush current of the pan/tilt motor starting is causing the problem.

Consider the way the system is wired, for best results you should wire the camera, monitor and pan/tilt motors with separate cables all the way back to the battery terminals.
That will remove the effect of voltdrop due to motor current in a single cable affecting the camera or monitor.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back