Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 volt battery monitor that will switch a relay off

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron roberts

Hi everyone can anyone help.

I have a small 12 volt bulb that I need to run from a 12 lead-acid battery but when the battery goes under 10 volt I would like some kind of circuitry that will switch a changeover relay. This relay will need to disconnect the bulb and switch my solar panel charger to recharge the battery. Now when the battery is charged fully I need the circuitry to switch back to running the bulb and disconnect the solar panel.

So in short I need a 12 volt battery monitor that will switch a relay off when the voltage goes below 10 volt and back on again when the voltage risers above 12 volts.

i know i need a voltage comparator and a current comparator. They set and reset a flip-flop circuit.
The outputs of the flip-flop drive Mosfets that connect the solar panel and disconnect the light bulb.

but i need a diagram only please

can anyone help

Last edited:
hi,
Get the datasheet for the LM393 www.datasheetarchive.com

You require the 'limit' circuit.

Modify the circuit to drive the relay.

Do you follow.?

Last edited:
i build this circuit more than a dozen time
simple, effective and cheap

sucsess
Robert-Jan

Attachments

• battery discharge protector.pdf
    262.3 KB · Views: 3,236
Hi rjvh thanks for the diagram it looks interesting but it seems to be in German. The diagram its self is no problem but you say you have built them, so I was just wondering if you can tell me a bit about its performance. How adjustable is it. When it switchers off, will it switch back on a gain when the battery is charged sufficiently. And so on.

ron roberts said:
Hi ericgibbs
thanks for the diagram looking in to that one many thanks.

hi Ron,
Look at this link:
**broken link removed**

Get the 723 datasheet.

Its the ic used in Robert-Jan circuit.

Hi Ron Roberts

the text is dutch not german but still not a world language so i don't blame you that you couldn't read it

it switch off at a level around 11.2 volt but this is adjustable

the 47k:eek:hm: resistor gives hysterisis in the circuit so it means that the voltage has to rise a bit more (+/- 1 volt) to switch back on

if you play a bit with this resistor you can narow or wyden the band of swiching suitable for your aplication

if you change the resister values at the inputes of the comparator you can change the initial switching points up to the value that is suitable for you

Sucsess with building it

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
Note that discharging a 12-volt lead acid battery below 10.8 volts can damage the battery.

Unless your battery is labelled "deep cycle", repeated discharges beyond 50% (12.23 volts at 70ºF/21.1ºC) will seriously shorten its useful life. For best results limit the depth of discharge to 20% (12.48 volts), and if at all possible avoid discharges of more than 80% (12.02 volts).

A deepcycle battery performs best when the average depth of discharge is between 20% and 90% (11.95 volts).

A wet cell battery with a 20% average depth of discharge can last up to 5 times longer than the same battery with a 50% average DoD.

The battery is fully charged at 12.64 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back